-   -   How do i use the find and replace in excel 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/170470-how-do-i-use-find-replace-excel-2003-a.html)

Bev

How do i use the find and replace in excel 2003

I would like to replace 1800 product numbers and put my numbers onto them.
can i do this all at one time or do i have to relace the numbers 1 at a time.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Max

"Bev" wrote:
I would like to replace 1800 product numbers
and put my numbers onto them.
can i do this all at one time
or do i have to relace the numbers 1 at a time.

Unlikely that Edit Replace would work since you probably have 1,800
different replacement product numbers for the original set.

But a simple vlookup might suffice though.
Here's an example:

Assume the original-new product number reference table is in a sheet: x
in cols A and B, data from row2 down, eg:

Orig# New#
11111 PK001
11112 PK002
11113 PK003
etc

Assume your orig product source data is in Sheet1,
data running in B2 down, eg:

Orig#
11112
11112
11113
11111
11113
etc

Insert a new col C
Put in C2: =IF(B2="","",VLOOKUP(B2,x!A:B,2,0))
Copy C2 down as far as required. Col C will return the new product numbers.
If desired, kill the formulas in col C with an "in-place" copy n paste
special as values, then clean up by deleting col B.
--
Max
Singapore

Bev

How do i use the find and replace in excel 2003

Thanks Max i`ll give that a try.

"Max" wrote:

"Bev" wrote:
[...]

Welcome, Bev. Let us know how it turned out for you.