-   -   Look up a value in one colum and insert the value found in the adj (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/169891-look-up-value-one-colum-insert-value-found-adj.html)

lgr021238

Look up a value in one colum and insert the value found in the adj

I use vlookup when entering data in a row to find a matching item in a two
column table and replace the entered data with the suggested item. No
problem with this.

I then want to pick-up the data in the adjacent column of the table and
place that data in a column in the same row where I am entering data.

David McRitchie

Look up a value in one colum and insert the value found in the adj

It the data is somewhere to the right of the column
in the table that you found a match in that is part of VLOOKUP.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm
If the value is the left, you could rearrange your table; otherwise,

use INDEX / MATCH see example for residence at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#residence

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel