-   -   What is that password? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/168980-what-password.html)

John Smith

What is that password?

I launch Excel 2003 then select tools/macro/visual basic editor.
In the subsequent window, I click on "ThisWorkbook". In the
properties window, both the Password and WritePassword fields are
NOT empty.

Is the default workbook password-protected? Why? What is the password?

Dave Peterson

What is that password?

There is no default password.

But you can protect the workbook by typing in these fields in the properties
window.

I'd still use File|saveas|tools|General Options|
tools|VBAProject properties|Protection tab
(It seems reasonable to have to verify a password to me.)

I think that as a security measure, that all passwords (now-a-days) are
displayed as asterisks. Just to keep the eyes of people passing by from seeing
too much.

--

Dave Peterson