-   -   Sorting/Locking Header (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/163829-sorting-locking-header.html)

Sapphire927

Sorting/Locking Header

I am trying to be able to sort and not have my header sort with it. I want
the header row to be locked. I've used the excel help where it says to click
Data, Sort, then My Data has Header Row. I then click ok. But, then it
defaults back to No Header Row. How do I make it stick? Or is there
something I need to do in order to do so.

Gord Dibben

Sorting/Locking Header

Excel recognizes a header row if it has different formatting like Bold text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:30:00 -0700, Sapphire927
wrote:

I am trying to be able to sort and not have my header sort with it. I want
the header row to be locked. I've used the excel help where it says to click
Data, Sort, then My Data has Header Row. I then click ok. But, then it
defaults back to No Header Row. How do I make it stick? Or is there
something I need to do in order to do so.

Sapphire927

Sorting/Locking Header

It is in bold and still won't hold.

wrote:

I am trying to be able to sort and not have my header sort with it. I want
the header row to be locked. I've used the excel help where it says to click
Data, Sort, then My Data has Header Row. I then click ok. But, then it
defaults back to No Header Row. How do I make it stick? Or is there
something I need to do in order to do so.

Gord Dibben

Sorting/Locking Header

Then try center and underline also.

Gord

wrote:

I am trying to be able to sort and not have my header sort with it. I want
the header row to be locked. I've used the excel help where it says to click
Data, Sort, then My Data has Header Row. I then click ok. But, then it
defaults back to No Header Row. How do I make it stick? Or is there
something I need to do in order to do so.

Sapphire927

Sorting/Locking Header

I've done all that. I have everchanging data. When I select sort, the
header sorts with it. I don't want the header row to move.

wrote:

I am trying to be able to sort and not have my header sort with it. I want
the header row to be locked. I've used the excel help where it says to click
Data, Sort, then My Data has Header Row. I then click ok. But, then it
defaults back to No Header Row. How do I make it stick? Or is there
something I need to do in order to do so.

Gord Dibben

Sorting/Locking Header

I have no more suggestions.

Sorry, Gord

wrote:

I am trying to be able to sort and not have my header sort with it. I want
the header row to be locked. I've used the excel help where it says to click
Data, Sort, then My Data has Header Row. I then click ok. But, then it
defaults back to No Header Row. How do I make it stick? Or is there
something I need to do in order to do so.

RagDyeR

Sorting/Locking Header

Are you *manually* selecting the *entire* datalist that you want to sort,
OR
Are you just clicking a cell in the list and allowing XL to make the
selection for you by clicking one of the "Sort" icons on the toolbar?

I suggest that you *always* manually select your datalist prior to starting
a sort.

RD

wrote:

I am trying to be able to sort and not have my header sort with it.

I want
the header row to be locked. I've used the excel help where it says

to click
Data, Sort, then My Data has Header Row. I then click ok. But,

then it
defaults back to No Header Row. How do I make it stick? Or is

there
something I need to do in order to do so.

RagDyeR

Sorting/Locking Header

And *NEVER* use the sort icons on the toolbar!

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
Are you *manually* selecting the *entire* datalist that you want to sort,
OR
Are you just clicking a cell in the list and allowing XL to make the
selection for you by clicking one of the "Sort" icons on the toolbar?

I suggest that you *always* manually select your datalist prior to

starting
a sort.

RD

-