-   -   Fill a cell with a character (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/15921-fill-cell-character.html)

Anauna

Fill a cell with a character

Hello,

In Quattro I can place a backslash (\) followed by a character...say = and
the character will fill the cell regarless of column width.

Is there a process in Excel to achieve the similar outcome?

--
Thank-you and all suggestions are appreciated.

Dave Peterson

Format|Cells|Alignment tab|Horizontal Dropdown box|Fill

You can also toggle a transition setting to get the same effect.

Tools|options|Transition tab|check Transition navigation keys.

But this will change how the Tab and home/ctrl-home key work, too.

Anauna wrote:

Hello,

In Quattro I can place a backslash (\) followed by a character...say = and
the character will fill the cell regarless of column width.

Is there a process in Excel to achieve the similar outcome?

--
Thank-you and all suggestions are appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

David McRitchie

Hi Anauna,

Use this format (format, cells, custom) to fill remainder with periods
@*.

Use this format to fill beginning with periods (leader dots)
*.@

The format doesn't have to be text formats, the following would
provide asterisk protection on dollar amount.
**$#.###.00

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm

Using Formatting to Change the Way Numbers, Dates, Times, and Text Appear in Microsoft Excel,
http://support.microsoft.com/default...ts/default.asp

---
HTH,

"Anauna" wrote in message ...
Hello,

In Quattro I can place a backslash (\) followed by a character...say = and
the character will fill the cell regarless of column width.

Is there a process in Excel to achieve the similar outcome?

--
Thank-you and all suggestions are appreciated.

Gord Dibben

Or a custom format of @*=

I use this one for "leaders" @*.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Anauna wrote:

Hello,

In Quattro I can place a backslash (\) followed by a character...say = and
the character will fill the cell regarless of column width.

Is there a process in Excel to achieve the similar outcome?

--
Thank-you and all suggestions are appreciated.

Dave Peterson

This does work if you type and = (equal sign) and use @*= as the custom format.

But if the OP wanted any old character repeated, then they'd have to use that
character in the custom format, too.