Old September 18th 07, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to SUM only numbers in a range with Text?

Hey,

Thanks for trying. Some cells will be blank as we only enter a value when a
client has been seen. F9 - AD9 are the days of the month and I enter "T 4"
only when the client is seen.

Thanks!

"jhyatt" wrote:

you could do this the only problem i have come up with is if any of the cells
f9:ad9 are blank it = an ERROR

=C9-MID(F9,3,6)-MID(G9,3,6)-MID(H9,3,6)-MID(I9,3,6)-MID(J9,3,6)-MID(K9,3,6)-MID(L9,3,6)-MID(M9,3,6)-MID(N9,3,6)-MID(O9,3,6)-MID(P9,3,6)-MID(Q9,3,6)-MID(R9,3,6)-MID(S9,3,6)-MID(T9,3,6)-MID(U9,3,6)-MID(V9,3,6)-MID(V9,3,6)-MID(X9,3,6)-MID(Y9,3,6)-MID(Z9,3,6)-MID(AA9,3,6)-MID(AB9,3,6)-MID(AC9,3,6)-MID(AD9,3,6)

"Aundria123" wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. When I enter this, it just puts the letter t in
front of my UNUSED UNITs #, i.e. t 41.

But I need to be able to enter either t or e throughout the whole row. And
I don't need the letter to be in the UNUSED UNITs column, only the number.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

"jhyatt" wrote:

="t " &text(C9-(SUM(F9:AD9))/2,"####")

"Aundria123" wrote:

Hello,

I'm a new user to excel and forumlas. I have a column that has a total
number of units in C9. In column C8 are names of people. I have to either
put next to the names T 2, T 4, E 2 or E4 (F9 to AD9). I am using the
following formula to subtract from the total number of units for each day in
the month.

Formula in Cell AE9: =(C9-(SUM(F9:AD9))/2)

This works perfectly for me when I only insert number 2 or 4. In column
AE,it gives me the number of UNUSED UNITs.

Well now my boss wants me to enter the letter T or E with the NUMBERS, and I
don't know how to adjust this forumla to IGNORE the letter so that the
formula continues to work. Right now when I add a letter to the cell, the
formula ignores the number.

I hope this makes sense as I'm desperate for a solution. I have digged
through a bunch of help sites, but I'm not technical enough to understand.

Thank you for your help!

Old September 18th 07, 09:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bernie,

I hope you wont give up! I liked your formula and so I wanted to add that
when I click the "!" to see about the error, it looks to me that it gets to

46/VALUE and breaks.

What does VALUE do? That seems to be the problem...

When I do EVALUATE FORMULA, it underlines and italicizes (#VALUE!<""

Then I click EVALUATE again and it underlines/italicizes

(IF( #VALUE!,VALUE(MID(F9:AD9,2,LEN(F9:AD9))))

I hit EVALUATE again

(46-#VALUE!)/2

I hit again
( #VALUE!)/2

I hit again

#VALUE!/2

I hit it for the last time and I only can RESTART

#VALUE!

Thanks for your help!

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Aundria,

If you always have just one letter, then array enter (enter using Ctrl-Shift-Enter) this formula

=(C9-SUM(IF(F9:AD9<"",VALUE(MID(F9:AD9,2,LEN(F9:AD9))) )))/2

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Old September 18th 07, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Again, using Ctrl-Shift-Enter:

=(C9-SUM(IF(F9:AD9<"",VALUE(MID(F9:AD9,3,LEN(F9:AD9))) )))/2

Since you have a letter and a space, the text string is really two
characters long, so I changed the ,2, to ,3, in the MID function.

=(C9-SUM(IF(F9:AD9<"",VALUE(MID(F9:AD9,3,1)))))/2

would also work, since you only have a 2 or a 4 in the cell (a number string
one character long).

Old September 19th 07, 09:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Aundria,

Try this formula in AE9
=(C9-(SUM(RIGHT(F9:AD9)*1)/2))
This is an array formula and must be committed
with Ctrl+Shift+Enter and not just enter

HTH
Martin

Old September 19th 07, 10:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sorry, I should have said =--RIGHT(F9), not =RIGHT(F9), as the latter
produces text, rather than a number. I apologise for causing you confusion.
--
David Biddulph

"Aundria123" wrote in message
David,

I did what you suggested. I started with F42 to AD42, which corresponds
with F9 to AD9. I have only numbers in my cell on the second page. I
then
put the below formula in AE9 (UNUSED UNITS column) but now the value is
always the same as in C9 (TOTAL UNITS). It's like the formula is no long
doing the SUM / 2 part.

=(C9-(SUM(F42:AD42))/2)

What gives?

Thanks!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

One option is to produce a set of helper columns, so from "T 2" in F9 you
could extract the 2 by =RIGHT(F9), and copy across appropriately. Use the
new columns in your SUM (and hide the new columns if you want to).
--
David Biddulph

Old September 19th 07, 11:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sorry that doesn't handle blank cells, although it will work if
you put a zero in the blank cells.

Can somebody else help out here?
I think an ISTEXT or maybe an IF(ISTEXT
can be worked into this array formula to handle the blanks
but I can't seem to get the syntax right.

The array formula I started with is
=(C9-(SUM(RIGHT(F9:AD9)*1)/2))

Regards
Martin

Old September 19th 07, 01:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"MartinW" wrote in message
Can somebody else help out here?

As an academic exercise - (I think that Bernie's formulas is the way to
go) - this should handle blank cells or cells returning an empty string:

=(C9-(SUM(IF(F9:AD9<"",RIGHT(F9:AD9)*1))/2))

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

Old September 19th 07, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Sandy,

That's cleared up the blanks issue very well.

I am intrigued as to why you prefer the VALUE(MID approach
to the RIGHT approach.

VALUE(MID requires 3 characters in the input cells
i.e Tspace4

RIGHT will handle Tspace 4, T4 or 4 or even a typo like Tspacespace4

Or am I missing something else again?

Regards
Martin

Old September 19th 07, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Martin,

Bernie's formula will take care of double, (or more), digit numbers after
the text ot letter and a space, your will only capture the final digit even
if there are more.