-   -   HOW DO I GET COLUMN TOTALS TO AUTO UPDATE? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/156007-how-do-i-get-column-totals-auto-update.html)

SBL

HOW DO I GET COLUMN TOTALS TO AUTO UPDATE?

I have set up ledger sheets in Excel for our clients, recording balance
forwards from the manual system, then put in a formula to add payments and
subtract disbursements. When I set up the formula, (i.e- SUM(b9-c10+d10),
the first line worked fine, then when I used the handle to drag the formula
down the total column for subsequent entries, the totals do not update
themselves when I put in new entries. I have tried going back and
re-entering the formula, but keep getting the same result. HELP!

Peo Sjoblom

HOW DO I GET COLUMN TOTALS TO AUTO UPDATE?

1.

You don't need the SUM

=B9-C10+D10

will suffice

2. do toolsoptionscalculation and make sure it is set to automatic, right
now you have manual

Peo Sjoblom

"SBL" wrote in message
I have set up ledger sheets in Excel for our clients, recording balance
forwards from the manual system, then put in a formula to add payments and
subtract disbursements. When I set up the formula, (i.e- SUM(b9-c10+d10),
the first line worked fine, then when I used the handle to drag the
formula
down the total column for subsequent entries, the totals do not update
themselves when I put in new entries. I have tried going back and
re-entering the formula, but keep getting the same result. HELP!

SBL

HOW DO I GET COLUMN TOTALS TO AUTO UPDATE?

thank you so much for your assistance--this corrected the Excel problem!