-   -   Identifing total hours as a whole number (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/150783-identifing-total-hours-whole-number.html)

Bob Morrison

Identifing total hours as a whole number

I have set up a little spreadsheet using "start time" and "end time". The
resulting difference is expressed in hours and minutes. I would like to use
this figure to calculate pay. It is not doing that because of the
formating. Is there a way?

Peo Sjoblom

Identifing total hours as a whole number

since one hour in Excel - 1/24 do as follows

=total_time*24*hourly_rate

format as currency or else you'll get a weird time value

Peo Sjoblom

"Bob Morrison" wrote in message
I have set up a little spreadsheet using "start time" and "end time". The
resulting difference is expressed in hours and minutes. I would like to
use this figure to calculate pay. It is not doing that because of the
formating. Is there a way?

Sandy Mann

Identifing total hours as a whole number

Multiply the elapsed time by 24, (hours in a day) thus:

=(B1-A1)*24 and format as General or Number

or to calculate the pay:

=(B1-A1)*24* PAYRATE

and format a currency.
--