Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Text to columns

I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in column A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the rest or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It looks like you have name space - space number.

Try this:

Select the range of cells in question
Goto the menu EditReplace
Find what: <space-<space
That is, type in a space then the dash then another space
Replace with: , (type in a comma)
Replace All
Close

With those cells still selected
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
DelimitedNext
CommaFinish

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Congratulations, Biff ! Cheers.
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Well earned, well deserved. Congratulations.

"T. Valko" wrote:
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Another way - select your column - making sure that you have a couple of
empty columns to the right of the one selected. click on "text to columns".
Choose "Delimited", then click on the next button. in the next dialog box,
there is a list of Delimiters on the left. Check the box in front of "other"
and then put in a hyphen. click next, then finish.

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank-you that worked. But I would like to keep my phone number in one column
if possible. I tried to regrouped the two columns with the phone number, but
I am not having any success.

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you, Max.

Hopefully, I haven't lowered the standard!

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Max" wrote in message
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Congratulations, Biff ! Cheers.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, Jerry!

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JLatham" <HelpFrom @ Jlathamsite.com.(removethis) wrote in message
Well earned, well deserved. Congratulations.

"T. Valko" wrote:
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Assuming you still have an original try using text to columns and
leaving it as fixed width you can then place your dividers where you
need them. If you place the dash between the name and phone number in
it's own column you can just mark it not to import or just delete it later.

gls858

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ok, it might be that those spaces are not standard char 32 spaces. They
might be char 160 non breaking spaces. In the EditReplace operation:

Find what: hold down the ALT key and using the *numeric keypad* type 0160
let up on the ALT key then type the dash then hold down the ALT key and
using the *numeric keypad* type 0160

Replace with: , (comma)
Replace All
Close

Then do the text to columns

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in
column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the
rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in
column A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the
rest or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Assuming you still have an original try using text to columns and leaving
it as fixed width you can then place your dividers where you need them. If
you place the dash between the name and phone number in it's own column
you can just mark it not to import or just delete it later.

gls858

Assuming that they have a list, not just a single cell.

That would work *if* all the names were the same length. Won't work if you
have:

John Doe - 250-555-5555
William Johnston - 412-555-1212

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

T. Valko wrote:

"B.W." wrote in message
[...]

You're right. Sorry about that. I did exactly as you indicated I tested
on one cell. Almost all the files I bring into Excel are fixed length
flat files. I knew better just forgot for the moment :-)

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If using the hyphen as the deliminator separates the two parts of your phone
numbers, you can put them back together fairly easily. make sure there is an
empty column to the right of the two columns with the phone number and enter
=(cell&-&cell) in the first cell of the empty column - for instance,
=(A1&"-"&B1) This will give you back your phone numbers with the hyphen.

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in
column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the
rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I forgot to mention - you have to then copy the formula by clicking in the
cell with the formula in it, then move the mouse over the lower right corner
until the cursor turns into a solid black cross, then click and drag the
formula all the way down to the bottom of your list.

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in
column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the
rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I think that's a common feeling for everyone--that and the "did you really mean
me?" that goes with it <vbg.

Congrats!

"Max" wrote in message
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Congratulations, Biff ! Cheers.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, Dave.

You're still the man!

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Max" wrote in message
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Congratulations, Biff ! Cheers.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Add my congrats to this thread Biff.

Welcome aboard.

A few months ago you posted that becoming an MVP was your goal so what's your
next goal?

Gord

"Max" wrote in message
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Congratulations, Biff ! Cheers.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Biff

Congratulations, very well deserved.
I am also very happy to be joining you, and hope I can live up to
expectations!!!

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Max" wrote in message
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Congratulations, Biff ! Cheers.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

I am also very happy to be joining you, and hope I can live up to
expectations!!!

Hey Roger, subtle comment, but I didn't miss that ...
My congratulations to you too! Cheers

P/s: Is there a reference namelist of the new kids on the MVP-Excel block
available ? Or, could someone kindly take a moment to list these new kids?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

There's a privacy issue at work here. So I don't think you'll be seeing a list
posted.

But for those who choose to share, you can check:
or for excel:
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/co...Office+Exc el

Max wrote:

I am also very happy to be joining you, and hope I can live up to
expectations!!!

Hey Roger, subtle comment, but I didn't miss that ...
My congratulations to you too! Cheers

P/s: Is there a reference namelist of the new kids on the MVP-Excel block
available ? Or, could someone kindly take a moment to list these new kids?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Max.

Dave has given the reason for the lack of a list.
I have not got round to setting up a Profile on the website yet, neither
would I imagine have many other of the "newbie's" .

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Max" wrote in message
I am also very happy to be joining you, and hope I can live up to
expectations!!!

Hey Roger, subtle comment, but I didn't miss that ...
My congratulations to you too! Cheers

P/s: Is there a reference namelist of the new kids on the MVP-Excel
block available ? Or, could someone kindly take a moment to list these
new kids?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB JMB is offline

Select your finished product, copy then click Edit/Paste Special/Values to
convert the formulae to constants. Then delete the other columns you don't
need (verify the paste special works before deleting the source).

I also wanted to jump in and congratulate Biff and Roger on reaching their
goals - very well deserved recognition!

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are in
column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to do the
rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Dave has given the reason for the lack of a list.
dang! <g no choice, then. looks like I'll have to read deep into all
postings by the regulars to "gather" such info.
--
"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Thanks Max.

Dave has given the reason for the lack of a list.
I have not got round to setting up a Profile on the website yet, neither
would I imagine have many other of the "newbie's" .

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, Gord!

A few months ago you posted that becoming an MVP
was your goal so what's your next goal?

To not embarrass myself as a MVP!
--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Max" wrote in message
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Congratulations, Biff ! Cheers.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Dave, thanks for response/links
.. So I don't think you'll be seeing a list posted.

No choice, resigned to this then. disappointed, though, that such occasions
for us to rejoice/celebrate with new Excel MVPs should be stifled by privacy
issues ..
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
There's a privacy issue at work here. So I don't think you'll be seeing a
list
posted.

But for those who choose to share, you can check:
or for excel:
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/co...Office+Exc el

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Congratulations, Roger!

I had assumed that you were already A MVP but just didn't make it public.

hope I can live up to expectations!!!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Harlan has already "tested" me. I guess I
passed!

Wooo hooo!

<VBG

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Max" wrote in message
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Congratulations, Biff ! Cheers.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm having trouble figuring out just how to do that?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Max" wrote in message
I am also very happy to be joining you, and hope I can live up to
expectations!!!

Hey Roger, subtle comment, but I didn't miss that ...
My congratulations to you too! Cheers

P/s: Is there a reference namelist of the new kids on the MVP-Excel block
available ? Or, could someone kindly take a moment to list these new
kids?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, J!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are
in
column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I
have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to
do the
rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on
to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very
much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Not a realistic goal.

Try something else like "To not embarrass myself as a MVP!.......too often"<g

Gord

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:26:40 -0400, "T. Valko" wrote:

Thanks, Gord!

A few months ago you posted that becoming an MVP
was your goal so what's your next goal?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

My congratulations also. Well deserved. There'll be a newcomer's meeting
soon (another privacy thing) which you may have already received notice about
- be sure and set that account up so you can attend.