-   -   Formulas (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/147302-formulas.html)

Vi

Formulas

When I put in a formula for a total, how do I make it show up as blank
instead of a zero if there is only one variable listed. For example, I want
to put a mileage rate in as a constant and I want the total cell to be blank
instead of zero if there is no mileage number in the first cell.
I'm using Excel 2003.
Thanks.

Gord Dibben

Formulas

=IF(A1="","",rest of formula)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:29:38 -0700, Vi wrote:

When I put in a formula for a total, how do I make it show up as blank
instead of a zero if there is only one variable listed. For example, I want
to put a mileage rate in as a constant and I want the total cell to be blank
instead of zero if there is no mileage number in the first cell.
I'm using Excel 2003.
Thanks.

Sloth

Formulas

Here are two options...

I. Change your formula to look like this
=IF(formula=0,"",formula)
for example if your formula as it is now is this...
=4*B1^2
then change it to this
=IF(4*B1^2=0,"",4*B1^2)
note that you can also use this...
IF(B1=0,"",4*B1^2)

II. Change the format of the cell containing the formula to something like
this...
General;-General;

If you need more help, then please be more specific. Provide an example of
cell values and the results you would like.