Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Excel 2007 crashes after viewing property sheet in Data Connection

I have been using Excel 2007 to import comma delimited text (csv) files
stored on my local hard disk into my personal finance spreadsheet. The
DataGet External DataFrom Text wizard works fine and have had no trouble
using the Refresh function. The problem comes from accessing a Connection
Properties Box from the DataConnections Box. If I select OK after viewing
the Properties Box, Excel crashes, restarts, and offers to let me continue
working on a repaired worksheet. This behavior occurs even when no changes
are made in the Properties Box. If I select Cancel, Excel exits the
Properties Box normally. This behavior also occurs in a clean workbook with
no data other than an imported text file.

This behavior is not a fatal flaw since there are other ways to access and
change the property data, however, such behavior is not acceptable in a
Microsoft Product which has been around for about 20 years. Is this a bug in
a new release of the product or a problem with the installation on my
computer? I am using Office 2007 Home and Student Trial Edition on a WinXP
Pro SP2 system. To preserve file portability I am opening and saving
worksheets in the .xls format using the Excel 2007 compatibility mode.

Any comments on this behavior?

--
Fritz Jones
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

I have not experienced any problems connecting to an external text file
with XL2007.
Maybe try renaming .csv to .txt, then telling the wizard that comma is
the separator will get around your problem.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Excel 2007 crashes after viewing property sheet in Data Connec

The wizard and refresh functions work fine with text files with either the
..csv or .txt extensions. The problem occurs in the following scenario:

1. Open a worksheet in Excel 2007 with external connections to one or more
text files with either a .csv or .txt extension.

2. Open the Workbooks Connections dialog box by selecting the Connections
button on the Data Ribbon.

3. Select a connection to an external text file and then select the
Properties button.

4. Close the resulting Properties dialog box by selecting OK.

5. On my system Excel will now crash.

Perhaps you or someone else could try duplicating this scenario. If Excel
does not crash then there is a problem with my system or with version of the
program installed on my computer.

--
Fritz Jones

"Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Just opened three separate connections to the same workbook, accessed
Parties from the open dialogue as you said, closed dialogue, no
problems.
I think it must be a problem with your system.
I regret, I cannot think what might be causing the problem.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

accessed Parties from the open dialogue as you said, closed dialogue,
no

Spell checkers!!!

should have been
accessed Properties

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes, but I'm sure XL parties have more people on the CEILING and on the
FLOOR
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you for trying to help with this. The problem does not prevent me from
using the program, but the behavior is puzzling. Even if this is a problem
with my system, the program whould be robust enough not to crash without
giving an error report. I may try reinstalling the Office 2007 suite and
sending a comment about the problem to Microsoft.
--
Fritz Jones

"Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On May 12, 4:01 am, "Roger Govier"
wrote:
I think it must be a problem with your system.
I regret, I cannot think what might be causing the problem.

Hi, interjecting myself in this conversation because the exact same
problem is happening to me and I came here looking for an answer. I
create a connection to a text file. I then I go to the Connection
Properties dialog box for that connection. When I exit the Properties
dialog by clicking the OK button, Excel crashes.

There may be a workaround for this problem, but I'm writing a book on
Excel so I would like to have it work correctly. It's not so great for
students when you have to include a passage in your book that begins:
"Now after Excel crashes ..."

Patrick Carey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

As I responded to the OP, I cannot re-create the problem. It appears to
work fine on my copy of XL2007.
If you would like to mail me direct with a copy of your file, I will see
if it behaves in the same manner on my machine, and, if so I will try to
investigate why.

To send direct do the obvious thing with AT and remove NOSPAM from my
email address
roger AT technologyNOSPAM4u.co.uk
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"PackerBronco" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 12, 4:01 am, "Roger Govier"
wrote:
I think it must be a problem with your system.
I regret, I cannot think what might be causing the problem.

Hi, interjecting myself in this conversation because the exact same
problem is happening to me and I came here looking for an answer. I
create a connection to a text file. I then I go to the Connection
Properties dialog box for that connection. When I exit the Properties
dialog by clicking the OK button, Excel crashes.

There may be a workaround for this problem, but I'm writing a book on
Excel so I would like to have it work correctly. It's not so great for
students when you have to include a passage in your book that begins:
"Now after Excel crashes ..."

Patrick Carey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

wrote:
I think it must be a problem with your system.
I regret, I cannot think what might be causing the problem.

Hi, interjecting myself in this conversation because the exact same
problem is happening to me and I came here looking for an answer. I
create a connection to a text file. I then I go to the Connection
Properties dialog box for that connection. When I exit the Properties
dialog by clicking the OK button,Excelcrashes.

There may be a workaround for this problem, but I'm writing a book on
Excelso I would like to have it work correctly. It's not so great for
students when you have to include a passage in your book that begins:
"Now afterExcelcrashes ..."

Patrick Carey- Hide quoted text -

Hello - has anyone found a solution for this? I too have the exact
same problem happening on my XP SP2 machine with Excel 2007. I have
also encountered the same issue with Vista..."microsoft office excel
has encountered a problem and needs to close." On either machine, I
have no problems with Excel 2003. Thanks.
Diba

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Since my original posting, I have been able to re-create the problem
with Text files.
On the Data tab, if you go to Connections group then
ConnectionsProperties it will crash

If you go straight to Properties from the Connections Group, then it
doesn't crash.

This problem has been reported back to Microsoft.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"diba" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default The wizard and refresh functions work fine with text files witheither the .

I (and many other users judging from Googling the problem), have the exact same issue in XL2007. It only occurs in the global "Conections" window. If you go to the sheet with the connection, then click "Properties", the crash doesn't happen. More work if you have multiple sheets connected though. Come on Microsoft - where's the fix? Dont' tell me - buy XL2010 and all will be well.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

On Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:01 AM Roger Govier wrote:

Hi

Just opened three separate connections to the same workbook, accessed
Parties from the open dialogue as you said, closed dialogue, no
problems.
I think it must be a problem with your system.
I regret, I cannot think what might be causing the problem.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Fritz" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:51 AM Roger Govier wrote:

Spell checkers!!!

should have been
accessed Properties

--
Regards

Roger Govier

On Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:23 AM Dave Peterson wrote:

Not to say that the Access users do not throw wonderful parties...

<vbg

Roger Govier wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

On Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:45 AM Roger Govier wrote:

Yes, but I am sure XL parties have more people on the CEILING and on the
FLOOR
--
Regards

Roger Govier

On Saturday, May 12, 2007 11:00 AM Dave Peterson wrote:

It must be very, very late where you are sitting <vvbg.

Roger Govier wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

On Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:55 PM Frit wrote:

Thank you for trying to help with this. The problem does not prevent me from
using the program, but the behavior is puzzling. Even if this is a problem
with my system, the program whould be robust enough not to crash without
giving an error report. I may try reinstalling the Office 2007 suite and
sending a comment about the problem to Microsoft.
--
Fritz Jones

"Roger Govier" wrote:

On Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:31 AM PackerBronco wrote:

On Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:46 AM Roger Govier wrote:

Hi

As I responded to the OP, I cannot re-create the problem. It appears to
work fine on my copy of XL2007.
If you would like to mail me direct with a copy of your file, I will see
if it behaves in the same manner on my machine, and, if so I will try to
investigate why.

To send direct do the obvious thing with AT and remove NOSPAM from my
email address
roger AT technologyNOSPAM4u.co.uk
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"PackerBronco" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Thursday, July 05, 2007 7:34 PM diba wrote:

On Friday, July 06, 2007 5:32 AM Roger Govier wrote:

Hi

Since my original posting, I have been able to re-create the problem
with Text files.
On the Data tab, if you go to Connections group then
ConnectionsProperties it will crash
If you go straight to Properties from the Connections Group, then it
doesn't crash.

This problem has been reported back to Microsoft.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"diba" wrote in message