-   -   Rounding up and down formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/141826-re-rounding-up-down-formula.html)

Bill Ridgeway

Rounding up and down formula

I recently contributed to this thread and posted a link (on web site) to a
working (Excel) demonstration which subsequently proved to be inaccurate. I
said then I would try to get it right so I have given it another go The
result at www.1001solutions.co.uk/rounding.xls is even more confusion. I
have found (so far unexplained) inconsistencies both within and between the
ceiling / floor and the roundup / rounddown methods which, perhaps, Sandy
Mann or Macropod (who kindly responded to my last effort) may be able to
explain.

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Niek Otten

Rounding up and down formula

Hi Bill,

I think you expect the 2nd argument to behave the same for ROUND and FLOOR. But that is not the case. One rounds to multiples of
that argument, the other round to the specified number of digits (fractions working the other way around). MROUND() works more
like FLOOR and CEILING.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten