-   -   running VBA Functions in spreadsheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/139265-running-vba-functions-spreadsheets.html)

DesCF

running VBA Functions in spreadsheets

I created a straight forward VBA function in the VBA Editor that sums
miscellaneous values in my spreadsheet. I tested it by using a message
box to display the answer and it works fine. How do I get it to run in my
spreadsheet? I tried just putting it in a cell prefixed with an equal
sign but that doesn't seem to work. Also I used to be able (in Access) to
run public functions in the Immediate window by prefixing the function
with a question mark and just hitting the return key, but that just
produces the message: 'complie error, sub or function not defined' - is
there some other way?

Don Guillett

running VBA Functions in spreadsheets

As always, you should post your function for comments. Is it in a REGULAR
module?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"DesCF" wrote in message news:op.tqxtgrldupgxg0@descstar...

I created a straight forward VBA function in the VBA Editor that sums
miscellaneous values in my spreadsheet. I tested it by using a message
box to display the answer and it works fine. How do I get it to run in my
spreadsheet? I tried just putting it in a cell prefixed with an equal
sign but that doesn't seem to work. Also I used to be able (in Access) to
run public functions in the Immediate window by prefixing the function
with a question mark and just hitting the return key, but that just
produces the message: 'complie error, sub or function not defined' - is
there some other way?

http://www.opera.com/mail/

Gary''s Student

running VBA Functions in spreadsheets

Make sure it in the "right" place:

Functions are very easy to install and use:

1. ALT-F11 brings up the VBE window
2. ALT-I
ALT-M opens a fresh module
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200715

"DesCF" wrote:

I created a straight forward VBA function in the VBA Editor that sums
miscellaneous values in my spreadsheet. I tested it by using a message
box to display the answer and it works fine. How do I get it to run in my
spreadsheet? I tried just putting it in a cell prefixed with an equal
sign but that doesn't seem to work. Also I used to be able (in Access) to
run public functions in the Immediate window by prefixing the function
with a question mark and just hitting the return key, but that just
produces the message: 'complie error, sub or function not defined' - is
there some other way?

DesCF

running VBA Functions in spreadsheets

It is located in a module attached to the spreadsheet, i.e. in when I
opened the vba editor there was spreadsheets 1, 2, & 3 - I double-clicked
1 to open the module. I don't have the code in fornt of me at the momment,
but for all intents and purposes it might as well be this:

Public Function DOG() as string

DOG = "DOG"

End Function

How do I use this function in a spreadsheet just to display the 'DOG' for
example ?

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:03:41 +0100, Don Guillett
wrote:

As always, you should post your function for comments. Is it in a
REGULAR module?

JE McGimpsey

In article <op.tqyxbkhlupgxg0@descstar, DesCF wrote:

How do I use this function in a spreadsheet just to display the 'DOG' for
example ?

You do what Don suggested and use a standard module, that you get by
choosing Insert/Module from the VBE menu.

See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/modules.html