-   -   Automatically place hyphen (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/132633-automatically-place-hyphen.html)

Mex

Automatically place hyphen

I want to set up a column that in each row I can enter numbers,
ex.123-45678-9-0 without having to enter the hypens. Is there formula that I
can input that will let me just type all the numbers and automatically have
the hypen in place?.

JE McGimpsey

Automatically place hyphen

If you just want to display/print the numbers with the hyphens, choose
Format/Cells/Number/Custom and enter

000-00000-0-0

as the format.

In article ,
Mex wrote:

I want to set up a column that in each row I can enter numbers,
ex.123-45678-9-0 without having to enter the hypens. Is there formula that I
can input that will let me just type all the numbers and automatically have
the hypen in place?.

Gord Dibben

Automatically place hyphen

FormatCellsNumberCustom 000-00000-0-0

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:32:10 -0800, Mex wrote:

I want to set up a column that in each row I can enter numbers,
ex.123-45678-9-0 without having to enter the hypens. Is there formula that I
can input that will let me just type all the numbers and automatically have
the hypen in place?.

Mex

Automatically place hyphen

Thanks to both of you, it works perfectly!