-   -   Calculating Time (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/131523-calculating-time.html)

Debbie[_2_]

Calculating Time

I am trying to calculate the total hours attended when I type in the
hours for the day. For example: 7:30 am is in Time In and 4:00 pm is
in Time Out Column. Now I need to get the total hours, which would be
8.5 hours or 8 1/2 hours. How do I do this? Thank you in advance.

Nick Hodge

Calculating Time

Debbie

If the time in is in A1 and B1 has the time out then in C1 enter

=B1-A1

This will return 8:30. Is this OK? (Make sure all cells are formatted to
time)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Debbie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to calculate the total hours attended when I type in the
hours for the day. For example: 7:30 am is in Time In and 4:00 pm is
in Time Out Column. Now I need to get the total hours, which would be
8.5 hours or 8 1/2 hours. How do I do this? Thank you in advance.

JE McGimpsey

Calculating Time

One way:

A1: 7:30 am
B1: 4:00 pm
C1: =B1-A1

Format C1 as a time.

If the times may span midnight, use

C1: =MOD(B1-A1,1)

In article . com,
"Debbie" wrote:

I am trying to calculate the total hours attended when I type in the
hours for the day. For example: 7:30 am is in Time In and 4:00 pm is
in Time Out Column. Now I need to get the total hours, which would be
8.5 hours or 8 1/2 hours. How do I do this? Thank you in advance.

JE McGimpsey

Calculating Time

If you need 8.5 rather than 8:30:

C1: =(B1-A1)*24