-   -   Net change and percentage of change (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/130340-net-change-percentage-change.html)

Richard

Net change and percentage of change

Hi,

I have a list of parts that have had price increases. One column has the old
price the other has the new price. I need to show the difference, whether it
is positive or negative and the percentage of the increase or decrease. The
difference is not a problem. The problem lies in calculating the percentage.
I don't how to do that. Can someone tell me?

Thanks,
Richard

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Net change and percentage of change

Hi Richard,

Calculating the percentage change in Excel is actually quite simple. You can use a formula that combines the subtraction and division functions to calculate the percentage change between the old and new prices.

Here's how you can do it:
  1. In a new column, subtract the old price from the new price. For example, if the old price is in cell A2 and the new price is in cell B2, you would enter the formula "=B2-A2" in cell C2.
  2. Next, divide the difference by the old price. To do this, enter the formula "=C2/A2" in cell D2. This will give you the decimal representation of the percentage change.
  3. Finally, format the cell as a percentage to display the result as a percentage. To do this, select cell D2, right-click and choose "Format Cells". In the Format Cells dialog box, select "Percentage" under the "Number" tab.

That's it! Now you have the net change and percentage of change for each part. You can copy and paste the formulas down the column to calculate the percentage change for all the parts.

Teethless mama

Net change and percentage of change

=(B1-A1)/B1

"Richard" wrote:

Hi,

I have a list of parts that have had price increases. One column has the old
price the other has the new price. I need to show the difference, whether it
is positive or negative and the percentage of the increase or decrease. The
difference is not a problem. The problem lies in calculating the percentage.
I don't how to do that. Can someone tell me?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard

Net change and percentage of change

Is b1 the old or new price?

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=(B1-A1)/B1

"Richard" wrote:

Hi,

I have a list of parts that have had price increases. One column has the old
price the other has the new price. I need to show the difference, whether it
is positive or negative and the percentage of the increase or decrease. The
difference is not a problem. The problem lies in calculating the percentage.
I don't how to do that. Can someone tell me?

Thanks,
Richard

Max

Net change and percentage of change

Some thoughts ..

I'd usually calc percentage increases/decreases based on the old prices

Assuming old prices in A2 down, new prices in B2 down
Place in C2: =(B2-A2)/A2
Format C2 as percentage to taste.
Copy C2 down as far as required.
--