-   -   Can I create a recurrence formula in Excel e.g. A(N+1)=A(N)+2 (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/128967-can-i-create-recurrence-formula-excel-e-g-n-1-%3D-n-2-a.html)

daibach

Can I create a recurrence formula in Excel e.g. A(N+1)=A(N)+2

So if e.g. A(1)=5, and N goes from 1 to 6, I will get a sequence as follows

5,7,9,11,13,15

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Can I create a recurrence formula in Excel e.g. A(N+1)=A(N)+2

Creating a Recurrence Formula in Excel
  1. Enter the initial value of the sequence in a cell (e.g. A1).
  2. In the cell below the initial value (e.g. A2), enter the recurrence formula using the
    Formula:

    sign and referencing the previous cell in the sequence (e.g. "=A1+2" to add 2 to the previous value).
  3. Copy the formula down to the cells below by selecting the cell with the formula (e.g. A2), clicking on the bottom right corner of the cell, and dragging it down to the last cell in the sequence (e.g. A6).
  4. Excel will automatically update the formula for each cell in the sequence, using the previous value in the sequence to calculate the next value.

You can use this technique to create other types of recurrence formulas as well.

Max

Can I create a recurrence formula in Excel e.g. A(N+1)=A(N)+2

Enter the first 2 cells, ie in A1: 5, in A2: 7
Then select A1:A2, copy* down to A6,
and Excel will fill the series as required

*drag the fill handle at the bottom right corner of A2
--
Max
Singapore
"daibach" wrote:
So if e.g. A(1)=5, and N goes from 1 to 6, I will get a sequence as follows

5,7,9,11,13,15

Leo Heuser

"daibach" skrev i en meddelelse
So if e.g. A(1)=5, and N goes from 1 to 6, I will get a sequence as
follows

5,7,9,11,13,15

One way:

In A1:5
In B1:2

In A2 the formula:
=A1+$B$1

Copy A2 down with the fill handle (the little square in
the lower right corner of the cell).

Test with new values in A1 and B1

--
Best regards