-   -   sum cells with numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/128693-sum-cells-numbers.html)

mmcap

sum cells with numbers

This shouldn't be too diffacult but I can't seem to find the function that
would allow me to sum the cells with numbers and then divide that by the
number of blank cells.
e.g. cells A1:A5, if A1 is 5, A2 is 10 and cells A3 through A5 are blank
then the answer would be 5. 5+10/3=5
I tried isnumber and isblank but that doesn't work. Any ideas?

T. Valko

sum cells with numbers

What result do you want if all the cells contain numbers?

Biff

"mmcap" wrote in message
This shouldn't be too diffacult but I can't seem to find the function that
would allow me to sum the cells with numbers and then divide that by the
number of blank cells.
e.g. cells A1:A5, if A1 is 5, A2 is 10 and cells A3 through A5 are blank
then the answer would be 5. 5+10/3=5
I tried isnumber and isblank but that doesn't work. Any ideas?

Max

sum cells with numbers

A play using COUNTBLANK might suffice:
=IF(COUNTBLANK(A1:A5)=0,"",SUM(A1:A5)/COUNTBLANK(A1:A5))
If there's no blank cells, it'll return a blank: ""
--
Max
Singapore
"mmcap" wrote:
This shouldn't be too difficult but I can't seem to find the function that
would allow me to sum the cells with numbers and then divide that by the
number of blank cells.
e.g. cells A1:A5, if A1 is 5, A2 is 10 and cells A3 through A5 are blank
then the answer would be 5. 5+10/3=5
I tried isnumber and isblank but that doesn't work. Any ideas?

Roger Govier

sum cells with numbers

Hi

Assuming you just want the sum of the numbers if there are no blanks in
the range, then one way would be
=SUM(A1:A5)/MAX(1,COUNTIF(A1:A5,""))

--
Regards