Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Kai Kai is offline

Default I can't get the formula result to display on my spreadsheet.

This is a phenomenonally simple task:

All I want is the formula "=SUM(B38:F38)" result to display on my
spreadsheet. Excel shows $0.00 in the cell. The formula result, however, is
'$9288.72.' I am so frustrated!!!

Thanks for any help with this prob.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sounds like your numbers are stored as text, format them to a number format.
--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"Kai" wrote:

This is a phenomenonally simple task:

All I want is the formula "=SUM(B38:F38)" result to display on my
spreadsheet. Excel shows $0.00 in the cell. The formula result, however, is
'$9288.72.' I am so frustrated!!!

Thanks for any help with this prob.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Likely that calc mode was inadvertently set to Manual here. Press F9, does it
compute properly? To check/change calc mode, click Tools Options
Calculation tab. Ensure "Automatic" is checked OK.

Along similar vein, another non-computing phenomena to watch out for is the
possibility is the cell with the formula might have been pre-formatted as
text, unknown to you of course, when you dropped the formula in. In such an
instance, just re-format the cell as either general or number (via Format
Cells), then re-enter the formula by clicking inside the formula bar and
pressing ENTER. Note that re-formatting alone does not trigger calculation,
you need to re-enter the formula.
--
Max
Singapore
"Kai" wrote:
This is a phenomenonally simple task:

All I want is the formula "=SUM(B38:F38)" result to display on my
spreadsheet. Excel shows $0.00 in the cell. The formula result, however, is
'$9288.72.' I am so frustrated!!!

Thanks for any help with this prob.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

"John Bundy" wrote:
Sounds like your numbers are stored as text, format them to a number format.

If its the case of text numbers, think re-formatting in itself doesn't
change the underlying values. We need to copy an empty cell, then select the
source range, eg: B38:F38, right-click paste special add ok. This
should convert all text numbers within the source range to real numbers, and
the SUM will work.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Kai Kai is offline

Hi Max & John,

I'd done all you suggested and checked again. Still, I get $0.00 in the
cell and the formula result remains in the formula box. :(

I have the cell formatted to 'currency.' All my other cells and calcs work
fine.

Kai
San Diego

"Kai" wrote:
This is a phenomenonally simple task:

All I want is the formula "=SUM(B38:F38)" result to display on my
spreadsheet. Excel shows $0.00 in the cell. The formula result, however, is
'$9288.72.' I am so frustrated!!!

Thanks for any help with this prob.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Quite a mystery then <g, given that the usual checks didn't resolve it ..

Perhaps you could use either of the 2 free filehosts listed below to upload
your sample book and then post the link to it in response here (the link is
generated when you upload, just copy and paste it here)

http://www.flypicture.com/
http://cjoint.com/index.php

For cjoint.com (it's in French), just click the "Browse" button, navigate to
folder select the file Open, then click the button centred in the page
below (labelled "Creer le lien Cjoint") and it'll generate the link. Then
copy & paste the generated link as part and parcel of your response here.

Kindly note that no attachments should be posted *directly* to the newsgroup.
--
"Kai" wrote:
Hi Max & John,

I'd done all you suggested and checked again. Still, I get $0.00 in the
cell and the formula result remains in the formula box. :(

I have the cell formatted to 'currency.' All my other cells and calcs work
fine.

Kai
San Diego

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Here's my standard list

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Your Numbers don't behave (like numbers)
Niek Otten, May 11, 2006

Your numbers sort incorrectly, are not included in SUMs, cause #VALUE! results in formulas, cannot be found in LOOKUPs, etc.
In short:

Your Numbers look like Numbers, but they really are Text.
Sure! You formatted them as numbers, but alas, formatting afterwards doesn't help. Believe me, they are Text!

Here's a checklist which will help you solve most known cases. Make a copy of your workbook before trying! Always use Excel's
ISNUMBER() function to check your cells; maybe you solved your problem in the first step!

· Format an empty cell as Number. Enter the number 1 in it. EditCopy.
Select your "numbers". EditPaste Special, check Multiply. Hopefully your cells are "real" Numbers now
· If that doesn't help, there may be spaces in your "numbers". You can use the LEN() function to compare the number
of characters that Excel sees in the cell with the number of characters you see. If you suspect spaces, use Excel's TRIM()
function to remove them
· If that doesn't help, there may be nonprintable characters in your "numbers". You can use Excel's CLEAN() function
to remove most of them
· If that doesn't help, there may be non-breaking spaces in your "numbers" (mostly acquired from Web Pages). Use
David McRitchie's TRIMALL() function to remove them. It can be downloaded he

"Kai" wrote in message ...
| Hi Max & John,
|
| I'd done all you suggested and checked again. Still, I get $0.00 in the
| cell and the formula result remains in the formula box. :(
|
| I have the cell formatted to 'currency.' All my other cells and calcs work
| fine.
|
| Kai
| San Diego
|
| "Max" wrote:
|
| Likely that calc mode was inadvertently set to Manual here. Press F9, does it
| compute properly? To check/change calc mode, click Tools Options
| Calculation tab. Ensure "Automatic" is checked OK.
|
| Along similar vein, another non-computing phenomena to watch out for is the
| possibility is the cell with the formula might have been pre-formatted as
| text, unknown to you of course, when you dropped the formula in. In such an
| instance, just re-format the cell as either general or number (via Format
| Cells), then re-enter the formula by clicking inside the formula bar and
| pressing ENTER. Note that re-formatting alone does not trigger calculation,
| you need to re-enter the formula.
| --
| Max
| Singapore
| http://savefile.com/projects/236895
| xdemechanik
| ---
| "Kai" wrote:
| This is a phenomenonally simple task:
|
| All I want is the formula "=SUM(B38:F38)" result to display on my
| spreadsheet. Excel shows $0.00 in the cell. The formula result, however, is
| '$9288.72.' I am so frustrated!!!
|
| Thanks for any help with this prob.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Kai Kai is offline

Here's the link to my WS: http://www.flypicture.com/download/NzM5Mzc=
The cells in question are C41 and D44. It actually seems like that entire
quadrant is involved. As previously noted, when I click the 'fx' icon and
get the 'function arguments' box, the result is there. It(the result) just
won't post in my designated cell. You may note that another cell in the 38
row works.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

"Kai" wrote:
Hi Max & John,

I'd done all you suggested and checked again. Still, I get $0.00 in the
cell and the formula result remains in the formula box. :(

I have the cell formatted to 'currency.' All my other cells and calcs work
fine.

Kai
San Diego

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Kai" wrote:
Hi Max & John,

I'd done all you suggested and checked again. Still, I get $0.00 in the
cell and the formula result remains in the formula box. :(

I have the cell formatted to 'currency.' All my other cells and calcs work
fine.

Kai
San Diego

Try this in c41 instead of SUM

=(B38+F38)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Kai" wrote:
Hi Max & John,

I'd done all you suggested and checked again. Still, I get $0.00 in
the cell and the formula result remains in the formula box. :(

I have the cell formatted to 'currency.' All my other cells and
calcs work fine.

Kai
San Diego

Try this in c41 instead of SUM

=(B38+F38)

Please ignore..I wasn't looking at it close enough.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

It looks like the circular reference error in D38 (one of the precedent
cells) is causing the problem here, as observed by George.

If you check the Iterations box (in Tools Options Calculation tab),
it'll work as-is (tested here). It's best of course to correct the circular
error in D38's formula as George has pointed out.
--
"Kai" wrote in message
Here's the link to my WS: http://www.flypicture.com/download/NzM5Mzc=
The cells in are C41 and D44. It actually seems like that entire
quadrant is involved. As previously noted, when I click the 'fx' icon and
get the 'function arguments' box, the result is there. It(the result)
just
won't post in my designated cell. You may note that another cell in the
38
row works.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Kai Kai is offline

Thanks for all you time Max. I'm relieved. Amazing, phenomenally simple
problem. Annoyed I didn't figure it out on my own.