-   -   V and H look up (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/126574-v-h-look-up.html)

JR

V and H look up

When Look up returns #N/A as there is no exact match in the range. Is it
possible to leave the cell blank? ie is there an "IF" "THEN" "ELSE" type
function tha can be added to the look up formula?
--
John from Bognor

JE McGimpsey

V and H look up

One way:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,J1:J100,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,J1 :K100,2,FALSE))

JR wrote:

When Look up returns #N/A as there is no exact match in the range. Is it
possible to leave the cell blank? ie is there an "IF" "THEN" "ELSE" type
function tha can be added to the look up formula?

Thanks for the reply.

The formula I currently have is a simple =HLOOKUP($K$1,B3:H3,1,FALSE)

How would I re write this to match the formula suggested?

JE McGimpsey

V and H look up

One way:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH($K$1,B3:H3,False)),"",$K$1)

or, alternatively

=IF(COUNTIF(B3:H3,$K$1),$K$1,"")

Note that a HLOOKUP with an index row of 1 can only return one of two
values: the value being looked up, or #N/A (assuming no errors in the
range that get passed through).

In article ,
JR wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The formula I currently have is a simple =HLOOKUP($K$1,B3:H3,1,FALSE)

How would I re write this to match the formula suggested?

JR

V and H look up

Many thanks JE McGimpsey. That works perfectly.

I owe you a beer or three
--
John from Bognor