-   -   How to imbed a cell reference in a text field? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/122676-how-imbed-cell-reference-text-field.html)

LurfysMa

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

Is there a way to imbed the value in a cell in a text field?

Something like: "Cost at [E7] / hour.", where "[E7]" gets replaced by
the value in cell E7.

Thanks

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

LurfysMa

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 05:48:30 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

Is there a way to imbed the value in a cell in a text field?

Something like: "Cost at [E7] / hour.", where "[E7]" gets replaced by
the value in cell E7.

I found the answer. Use the concatenate function:

=CONCATENATE("Cost at $",E7,"/hour.")

Thanks

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Max

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

"LurfysMa" wrote:
=CONCATENATE("Cost at $",E7,"/hour.")

An alternative to try as well would be:
="Cost at "&TEXT(E7,"$#,##0.00") &"/hour"
--
Max
Singapore

Roger Govier

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

Hi

Another alternative, with a slight difference in layout would be to
Custom format the cell.
FormatCellsNumberCustom #0.00 "$ Cost / hour"

Then in the cell just enter
=E7

The possible advantage is the number value generated from the E7 value
is still a number and can be used in further calculation if required.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:20:01 -0800, Max wrote:

"LurfysMa" wrote:
=CONCATENATE("Cost at $",E7,"/hour.")

An alternative to try as well would be:
="Cost at "&TEXT(E7,"$#,##0.00") &"/hour"

Thanks.

That's the type of solution I was looking for, but couldn't find, when
I stumbled across the Concatenate function.

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

LurfysMa

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:43:33 -0000, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

Hi

Another alternative, with a slight difference in layout would be to
Custom format the cell.
FormatCellsNumberCustom #0.00 "$ Cost / hour"

Then in the cell just enter
=E7

I thought about that and would have tried it eventually.

The possible advantage is the number value generated from the E7 value
is still a number and can be used in further calculation if required.

I don't understand. Why would I not just use E7 in any further
calculations?

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Roger Govier

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

Hi
I don't understand. Why would I not just use E7 in any further
calculations?

In your particular scenario, I agree.
I was giving the generalised case of why it may be of advantage. The
cell could be carrying a formula with some sort of lookup, and the
resulting value could then be used as part of further calculation,
without recourse to repeating the lookup.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote:

Hi

Another alternative, with a slight difference in layout would be to
Custom format the cell.
FormatCellsNumberCustom #0.00 "$ Cost / hour"

Then in the cell just enter
=E7

I thought about that and would have tried it eventually.

The possible advantage is the number value generated from the E7 value
is still a number and can be used in further calculation if required.

I don't understand. Why would I not just use E7 in any further
calculations?

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Gord Dibben

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

What Ron meant was if you entered Max's formula of

="Cost at "&TEXT(E7,"$#,##0.00") &"/hour"

You could not use that cell in calculations.

If you custom formatted a cell as Ron suggested, the cell could be used in
calculations because it is not text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:02:41 -0800, LurfysMa wrote:

I don't understand. Why would I not just use E7 in any further
calculations?

Gord Dibben

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

And I meant "Roger" not "Ron"

Gord

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:40:11 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

What Ron meant was if you entered Max's formula of

="Cost at "&TEXT(E7,"$#,##0.00") &"/hour"

You could not use that cell in calculations.

If you custom formatted a cell as Ron suggested, the cell could be used in
calculations because it is not text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:02:41 -0800, LurfysMa wrote:

I don't understand. Why would I not just use E7 in any further
calculations?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Roger Govier

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

And I meant "Roger" not "Ron"
That's Ok Jim <vbg

--

wrote:

I don't understand. Why would I not just use E7 in any further
calculations?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

I did it to Niek and Nick a couple of times lately and I believe to yourself and
Ron more than once.

At least in my condition I get to meet new people every day, although calling my
current spouse by first spouse's name doesn't garner any brownie points, I'll
tell ya<g

Jim

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:58:54 -0000, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

And I meant "Roger" not "Ron"

That's Ok Jim <vbg

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

LurfysMa

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:56:34 -0000, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

Hi
I don't understand. Why would I not just use E7 in any further
calculations?

In your particular scenario, I agree.
I was giving the generalised case of why it may be of advantage. The
cell could be carrying a formula with some sort of lookup, and the
resulting value could then be used as part of further calculation,
without recourse to repeating the lookup.

Ok. If I needed E7*E9 + G7*G9 or some such rather than just E7. Right?
Good point, thanks.

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Max

How to imbed a cell reference in a text field?

You're welcome, LurfysMa !

For more examples, browse Debra's nice page at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlCombine01.html
Excel - Combining Data