-   -   Sorting (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/121300-sorting.html)

Kim

Sorting

I have a problem sorting in Excel. When I try to sort my list in Excel it
sorts like this:

1.1.1
1.1.11
1.1.2
11.1.1
2.1.1

I would like it to sort like this:
1.1.1
1.1.2
1.1.11
2.1.1
11.1.1

Is that possible?

--
Kim

Jim Cone

Sorting

See this post from 1998 on sorting IP addresses...
http://tinyurl.com/y6696s
Especially the one from Dana at the bottom of the page.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Kim"
wrote in message
I have a problem sorting in Excel. When I try to sort my list in Excel it
sorts like this:

1.1.1
1.1.11
1.1.2
11.1.1
2.1.1

I would like it to sort like this:
1.1.1
1.1.2
1.1.11
2.1.1
11.1.1

Is that possible?
--
Kim

David McRitchie

Sorting

I don't think you really want to use Text to Columns,
and then sort on three columns. The following will
work even though most IP addresses have four nodes,
the sort will aligned on left though for normalized numbers.
I think if you had a mix of 3 nodes and 4 nodes you would
not get what you want.

see Sorting TCP/IP Addresses, and the like
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorttcp.htm

---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel