-   -   Keeping my cash expenses from subtracting the cash balance (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/120092-keeping-my-cash-expenses-subtracting-cash-balance.html)

Michael T.

Keeping my cash expenses from subtracting the cash balance

I have Ecell 2003 and I have just started a Family budget. I have inputed
everything and it is working fine,Till I input what I pay for in cash and it
also subtracts from my cash balance.

I do not want that, I want a clear picture of where I am spending my money,
Not to alter something to make it add up to my checkbook. I woould apperciate
any help. Thank you

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Keeping my cash expenses from subtracting the cash balance

I'm certainly confused. When *I* spend cash, it makes *my* cash balance
lower. Have you found a way to spend money that doesn't? If so, please
elaborate.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Michael T." <Michael wrote in message
I have Ecell 2003 and I have just started a Family budget. I have inputed
everything and it is working fine,Till I input what I pay for in cash and
it
also subtracts from my cash balance.

I do not want that, I want a clear picture of where I am spending my
money,
Not to alter something to make it add up to my checkbook. I woould
apperciate
any help. Thank you

Michael T.

Keeping my cash expenses from subtracting the cash balance

When I go into Excell and input all my spending, I put in what I pay with a
check or debit, Then I input what i spend in cash. I am trying to track all
of my spending but I do not want the $20.00 I took out of the atm to subract
again and again for what I pay in cash. Hope this makes sensse.
--
Michael T.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Gerry Atrick

Keeping my cash expenses from subtracting the cash balance

Hi Michael. why not keep cash expenditure in a separate column, or even a
separate worksheet so that items are not included in any formulae that are
keeping track of your bank balance.
Gerry

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

I will give it a try, Thank you.
--
Michael T.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Sandy Mann

Keeping my cash expenses from subtracting the cash balance

Michael,

Not knowing how your personal budget sheet is laid out it is impossible to
give a definitive answer

Just experimenting with it I created a spreadsheet like:
Column A - Date
Column B - Reason for Transaction
Column C - Cash Spent
Column D - Cash Balance
Column E - Cash Out (from Bank)
Column F - Bank Out (Cheques Etc.)
Column G - Bank In
Column H - Bank Balance

The Bank Balance column, Column H is altered by entries in Columns E, F & G
but entries in Column C only causes the present Bank Balance to be copied
down.

Additionally entries in Column E, Cash Out, also cause Column D, the Cash
Balance, to be updated and entries in Columns F & G cause the balance in
Column D, Cash Balance, to be copied down.

It does what I think you are asking for but personally I found it confusing
although it was slightly less so when I colour coded the columns in groups.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings