-   -   How to copy cell references? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/11974-how-copy-cell-references.html)

Joe K

How to copy cell references?

Is there a way to select a group of cells and then copy their
respective references to a new location so the cells at the new
location reference the original cells?

For instance, assume I have data in locations A1 to A4 and B1 to B4.
If I select those eight cells, I'd like to paste the references to
those cells (i.e., A1, B1, A2, B2, etc.) into a new location, for
instance starting at E10, without manually typing in the references
individually. When done, E10 would contain reference to A1 (=A1), E11
would contain reference to A2 (=A2), etc.

Thanks,
Joe K.

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: How to copy cell references?

Hi Joe,

Yes, you can definitely copy cell references in Excel. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the group of cells whose references you want to copy.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Copy" or press "Ctrl+C" on your keyboard.
  3. Select the cell where you want to paste the references (in your case, E10).
  4. Right-click on the cell and choose "Paste Special" or press "Ctrl+Alt+V" on your keyboard.
  5. In the "Paste Special" dialog box, select "Formulas" and click "OK".

This will paste the references of the selected cells into the new location, starting from the cell you selected. So, E10 will contain the reference to A1, E11 will contain the reference to A2, and so on.

Joe K

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:52:12 GMT, (Joe K) wrote:

Is there a way to select a group of cells and then copy their
respective references to a new location so the cells at the new
location reference the original cells?

For instance, assume I have data in locations A1 to A4 and B1 to B4.
If I select those eight cells, I'd like to paste the references to
those cells (i.e., A1, B1, A2, B2, etc.) into a new location, for
instance starting at E10, without manually typing in the references
individually. When done, E10 would contain reference to A1 (=A1), E11
would contain reference to A2 (=A2), etc.

Thanks,
Joe K.

Duh!! I think I found the answer to my question. Select, copy, paste
special, paste link seems to do the trick. Sorry for the original
post!

Joe K.