-   -   Making a time stamp (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/115373-making-time-stamp.html)

Rick

Making a time stamp

I need to make a column in a worksheet that will automatically enter the time
and date the info was entered in that row.. I have been playing with the
=NOW() function, but no luck so far.

Thanks!!

Bernie Deitrick

Making a time stamp

Rick,

Copy the code below, right click on the sheet tab, select "View Code", and paste the code into the
window that
appears. You can change the B1:H1000 to a named range, a dynamic range, or any other range that you
want.... this will store the date of the change in column A.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Dim myCell As Range

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B1:H1000")) Is Nothing Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
For Each myCell In Intersect(Target, Range("B1:H1000"))
Cells(myCell.Row, 1).Value = Date
Next
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

"Rick" wrote in message
I need to make a column in a worksheet that will automatically enter the time
and date the info was entered in that row.. I have been playing with the
=NOW() function, but no luck so far.

Thanks!!

Sandy

Making a time stamp

Rick, Bernie's code will work great for you if you want to update the
date/time stamp for a row when you update any cell in that row. If you
don't want that to happen (have an original date/time stamp for when
the info was first entered) then here is Bernie's code modified. This
code will enter a date/time a stamp into column A only if it's blank.
Also, if you'd like the time along with the date, change Date value to
Now in the code and format accordingly.

hope this was helpful
Sandy

Dim myCell As Range
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B1:H1000")) Is Nothing Then
If Cells(Target.Row, 1).Value = Empty Then
Cells(Target.Row, 1).Value = Date

Rick wrote:
I need to make a column in a worksheet that will automatically enter the time
and date the info was entered in that row.. I have been playing with the
=NOW() function, but no luck so far.

Thanks!!

Rick

Making a time stamp

Thank you Bernie and Sandy!!!!! I have a use for both sets of code, and this
will help me out tremendously!! Thanks again!!