-   -   How lock just some cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/112198-how-lock-just-some-cells.html)

Cowtoon

How lock just some cells

I have an excel spreadsheet and I want to lock portions of it ... not all.
Can that be done. Locking alone doesn't work, but protection locks the
entire worksheet down.

How do I beat this? Thanks.

Gord Dibben

How lock just some cells

By default all cells are locked when the sheet is protected.

Hit CRTL + A(twice if xl2003) then FormatCellsProtection. Uncheck "locked"
and OK.

Select the cells you wish to lock and FormatCellsProtection. Check "locked"
and OK.

Now ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet. This is mandatory and no way to "beat it"
unless you want to get into VBA.

You can set a password to unprotect. These can easily be broken in Excel but
will keep your formulas from being accidentally overwritten.

NOTE the options available in xl2002 and 2003 when you hit Protect Sheet

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:50:44 -0600, "Cowtoon"
wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet and I want to lock portions of it ... not all.
Can that be done. Locking alone doesn't work, but protection locks the
entire worksheet down.

How do I beat this? Thanks.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Cowtoon

How lock just some cells

Thanks Gord. That's great ... it works. I was missing the first step to
unlock everything at the start. Thanks. Diana