-   -   how can I clear an apostrophy in front of number in excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/107985-how-can-i-clear-apostrophy-front-number-excel.html)

KCESS

how can I clear an apostrophy in front of number in excel

I know how to change formats - however I have a formatted cell for a 100 +
rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead. While I don't see it, I am
concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not removing
the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using this
column of info.

Bob Umlas

how can I clear an apostrophy in front of number in excel

try copying an unused empty cell. Select your data & edit/paste special,
click Values & Add.
"KCESS" wrote in message
I know how to change formats - however I have a formatted cell for a 100 +
rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead. While I don't see it, I

am
concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not

removing
the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using this
column of info.

Pete_UK

how can I clear an apostrophy in front of number in excel

Another quick way:

Highlight the offending data, then click Data | Text-to-columns then
click Finish.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"KCESS" wrote in message
I know how to change formats - however I have a formatted cell for a 100 +
rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead. While I don't see it, I

am
concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not

removing
the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using this
column of info.

Bob Umlas

how can I clear an apostrophy in front of number in excel

Corection - not Values and Add, but All and Add.
THe other suggestion(s) will clear the ' from numbers, not text.

+
rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead. While I don't see it,

am
concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not

removing
the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using

this
column of info.

Jaleel

how can I clear an apostrophy in front of number in excel

Hi,

Assuming your data is Column A, put a formula in Column B.

=VALUE(A1)

Drag from B1 to the bottom. Select the cells in Column B, copy and Paste
Special €“ Value in Column A. This will avoid the error checking and you can
use the Vlookup Formula.

Regards,

Jaleel