-   -   remove punctuation from address (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/107412-remove-punctuation-address.html)

Mary

remove punctuation from address

I need help removing commas, periods, parenthesis, dashes, etc from an
address file a customer supplied to me. Below is one row for example. In
order to dump the address file into our system, I need to remove the
punctuation. Is there a formula that will do this for me? The Name,
Company and address are each in a different cell.
Ed Olsen, Sr Seattle Mill & Industrial Supply 3223-A 164th St. SW

--
Thanks,
Mary

Trevor Shuttleworth

remove punctuation from address

Mary

you'll need to add a column and then input the formula:

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBST ITUTE(A1,",",""),".",""),"-",""),"(",""),")","")

Assuming your data starts in cell A1. Just drag down or AutoFill.

Once you have the data, Copy and Paste Special | Values over the original.
Import the cleaned up data into your system.

Regards

Trevor

"Mary" wrote in message
I need help removing commas, periods, parenthesis, dashes, etc from an
address file a customer supplied to me. Below is one row for example.
In
order to dump the address file into our system, I need to remove the
punctuation. Is there a formula that will do this for me? The Name,
Company and address are each in a different cell.
Ed Olsen, Sr Seattle Mill & Industrial Supply 3223-A 164th St. SW

--
Thanks,
Mary

Dave Peterson

remove punctuation from address

You may want to just do a series of edit|Replaces to remove whatever you
consider punctuation.

Select the range
edit|Replace
what: , (comma)
with: (leave blank or a space character????)
replace all

And just keep doing this for each of your characters to remove.

Mary wrote:

I need help removing commas, periods, parenthesis, dashes, etc from an
address file a customer supplied to me. Below is one row for example. In
order to dump the address file into our system, I need to remove the
punctuation. Is there a formula that will do this for me? The Name,
Company and address are each in a different cell.
Ed Olsen, Sr Seattle Mill & Industrial Supply 3223-A 164th St. SW

--
Thanks,
Mary

--

Dave Peterson

CLR

remove punctuation from address

ASAP Utilities, a free add-in available from www.asap-utilities.com has a
feature that will let you selectively delete characters..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3