-   -   Office 97 to 2003: Excel: enter data w/fixed 2 decimal. 2000. be. (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/10560-office-97-2003-excel-enter-data-w-fixed-2-decimal-2000-a.html)

terrier

Office 97 to 2003: Excel: enter data w/fixed 2 decimal. 2000. be.

When I enter number "2000." I get 20.00 - yes, set decimals at 2 but earlier
excel would accept change if you entered decimal with number. this is
slowing down a budget prep and I'd sure like some help - online and tutorials
say "enter decimal" but this is not working. what am I doing wrong?

Harald Staff

Hi

Confirmed, until v ersion XP you could finish off with a decimal separator.
This behavior changed with Excel 2003, I haven't seen any documentation on
the reasons.
"Enter decimal" is like
2000.0
which is just as many keystrokes as
200000
but slower.

If you deal with blocks of data, it's easy to create a macro that handle
selected cells and multiplies by / divides by 100. This may be faster than
typing each one, post back if you want me to write one for you. But if those
cells are scattered all over then I guess there is no cure except digging up
an earlier version of Excel for entry.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"terrier" skrev i melding