-   -   Count is not working (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/105248-count-not-working.html)

[email protected]

Count is not working

Okay, this is BASIC and I feel bad for asking, but I can not get my
count to work.

I have a spreadsheet with a list of doctors names and other
information, I tried to do a count on the column using the following
formula:

=count(D:D)

And Excel gave me 0.

I tried this on other columns, it worked, there is no formula in the
column, my spreadsheet is not on manual calculate, when using the
little ghost function in Excel I am able to get a count for the row in
question, but the formula won't work. I found a work around by
counting another column, any ideas on why it is not working?

Richard

oldchippy

Count is not working

Wrote:
Okay, this is BASIC and I feel bad for asking, but I can not get my
count to work.

I have a spreadsheet with a list of doctors names and other
information, I tried to do a count on the column using the following
formula:

=count(D:D)

And Excel gave me 0.

I tried this on other columns, it worked, there is no formula in the
column, my spreadsheet is not on manual calculate, when using the
little ghost function in Excel I am able to get a count for the row in
question, but the formula won't work. I found a work around by
counting another column, any ideas on why it is not working?

Richard

Hi Richard,

If you're counting text, use =COUNTA(D:D)

oldchippy :)

--
oldchippy
oldchippy's Profile:

SteveW

Count is not working

Count counts numbers
you said list of names
try counta

Steve

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:24:43 +0100, wrote:

Okay, this is BASIC and I feel bad for asking, but I can not get my
count to work.

I have a spreadsheet with a list of doctors names and other
information, I tried to do a count on the column using the following
formula:

=count(D:D)

And Excel gave me 0.

I tried this on other columns, it worked, there is no formula in the
column, my spreadsheet is not on manual calculate, when using the
little ghost function in Excel I am able to get a count for the row in
question, but the formula won't work. I found a work around by
counting another column, any ideas on why it is not working?

Richard

--
Steve (3)

Don Guillett

Count is not working

try countA

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, this is BASIC and I feel bad for asking, but I can not get my
count to work.

I have a spreadsheet with a list of doctors names and other
information, I tried to do a count on the column using the following
formula:

=count(D:D)

And Excel gave me 0.

I tried this on other columns, it worked, there is no formula in the
column, my spreadsheet is not on manual calculate, when using the
little ghost function in Excel I am able to get a count for the row in
question, but the formula won't work. I found a work around by
counting another column, any ideas on why it is not working?

Richard

[email protected]

Count is not working

It worked, thank you.
wrote:
Okay, this is BASIC and I feel bad for asking, but I can not get my
count to work.

I have a spreadsheet with a list of doctors names and other
information, I tried to do a count on the column using the following
formula:

=count(D:D)

And Excel gave me 0.

I tried this on other columns, it worked, there is no formula in the
column, my spreadsheet is not on manual calculate, when using the
little ghost function in Excel I am able to get a count for the row in
question, but the formula won't work. I found a work around by
counting another column, any ideas on why it is not working?

Richard

Ken Wright

Count is not working

Might also want to consider looking at Data / Subtotals for that kind of info.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03