-   -   Sorting ( what happened) (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/103420-sorting-what-happened.html)

Crimson

Sorting ( what happened)

Excel 2003
Windows XP

I was sorting a list that read:
Store Item Price

I'm not sure what I did but when I look back it was in this order:

Price Item Store

Now I cannot get the "Store" column back without physically moving it.

Ron Coderre

Sorting ( what happened)

It sounds like you selecte "Sort left to right" in the sort options.

Try this:

Insert a blank row just above your data list.
Enter sequence numbers (the way they SHOULD be) above each column heading.
(Example: if the Price column should be 3rd....put a 3 above it.)

Select the data list (including the seq numbers above)

THEN
From the Excel main menu:
<data<sort
Click the [Options] button
Check: Sort left to right
Click the [OK] button
Click the [OK] button (again, to sort)

That should sort the columns based on the seq numbers you entered and put
your columns back in the correct order.

(if NO....undo and try again)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Crimson" wrote:

Excel 2003
Windows XP

I was sorting a list that read:
Store Item Price

I'm not sure what I did but when I look back it was in this order:

Price Item Store

Now I cannot get the "Store" column back without physically moving it.

SteveW

Sorting ( what happened)

left to right wouldn't give you "Price, Item, Store" :)

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:45:02 +0100, Ron Coderre
wrote:

It sounds like you selecte "Sort left to right" in the sort options.

Try this:

Insert a blank row just above your data list.
Enter sequence numbers (the way they SHOULD be) above each column
heading.
(Example: if the Price column should be 3rd....put a 3 above it.)

Select the data list (including the seq numbers above)

THEN
From the Excel main menu:

--
Steve (3)