Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Question about a formula (Excel XP)

I'm "dissecting" a budget to better understand and (hopefully) put it to use
for our oreganization. I ran across this formula is a cell:
=IF($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37<0,0,(($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37+'Cash
Budget'!C38)*'Unrestricted Revenue'!$B$9/12))

I understand the order that Excel will do the various mathematical
operations, but am confused about this part: "..<0,0, ..." Specifically
the second 0(zero) inside the commas. What does it mean?

--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Mike

This one says in plain English: If B13 minus C37 (in Cash Budget) is less
than 0, THEN (the 1st comma means THEN) show a 0, ELSE ( the 2nd comma means
ELSE) first subtract C37 in Cash Budget from B13 and add C38 in Cash budget
before multiplying by B9 in Unrestricted Revenue and deviding by 12

"Mike Webb" wrote:

I'm "dissecting" a budget to better understand and (hopefully) put it to use
for our oreganization. I ran across this formula is a cell:
=IF($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37<0,0,(($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37+'Cash
Budget'!C38)*'Unrestricted Revenue'!$B$9/12))

I understand the order that Excel will do the various mathematical
operations, but am confused about this part: "..<0,0, ..." Specifically
the second 0(zero) inside the commas. What does it mean?

--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Mike Webb wrote:
I'm "dissecting" a budget to better understand and (hopefully) put it to use
for our oreganization. I ran across this formula is a cell:
=IF($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37<0,0,(($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37+'Cash
Budget'!C38)*'Unrestricted Revenue'!$B$9/12))

I understand the order that Excel will do the various mathematical
operations, but am confused about this part: "..<0,0, ..." Specifically
the second 0(zero) inside the commas. What does it mean?

=IF($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37<0,0,(($B$13-'Cash Budget'!C37+'Cash
Budget'!C38)*'Unrestricted Revenue'!$B$9/12))

It translates roughly like this (take note of where the commas are in
the following sentence, they relate to where the commas are in your formula:

IF you subtract the value in cell C37 on the sheet 'Cash Budget' from
the value in cell B13 on this sheet and the result is less than zero,
then insert a zero in this cell, otherwise do a calculation using the
values from C37 on the 'Cash Budget' sheet and from B9 on the
'Unrestricted Revenue' sheet.

The IF statement takes the form
IF(logical_test,value_if_true,value_if_false).

Pretty simple really.
The logical test is just a value or a formula or something that will
return a value or result that can be described as being True or False.
The value_if_true is what you get if the test is TRUE - in your case its
the ,0, That is, put a zero in this cell if the test is TRUE.
The Value_if_false is what Excel does if the test is FALSE. In your
case it performs a calculation and puts the result of that calculation
in the cell.
--
Westie