-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Dead links retreiving data? (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/95608-dead-links-retreiving-data.html)

[email protected]

Dead links retreiving data?

Hi,
I have a cell linked to a file that no longer exists. After this file
was deleted, I expected to see "#REF" in the cell. (I always update
links when opening files.) However, the cell contained the data from
the last time the link was valid. Any idea why a link to a file that
doesn't exist is bring back data?

Thx.

Phil

Dead links retreiving data?

By design. Otherwise, the first time you opened a file when a network
link wqs down, etc., you would lose the link

Edit|Links allows will bring up a box that will allow you to update
links, change then source, delete dead links, or change them to their
current values.