-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Absolute value changing in linked workbooks (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/88439-absolute-value-changing-linked-workbooks.html)

Marnie

Absolute value changing in linked workbooks

I want to link Row 3 in workbookA to Row 5 in workbookB. In WorkbookB cell
A5 I have:

=+[WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1!$A$3

The links are working except when I insert a row above Row 3 in WorkbookA.
It changes the absolute reference to $A$4. I want it to remain linked to row
3.

I would appreciate a suggestion.

JE McGimpsey

Absolute value changing in linked workbooks

One way:

=INDEX([WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1!$A:$A,3)

Note that your leading + is superfluous in XL.

In article ,
Marnie wrote:

I want to link Row 3 in workbookA to Row 5 in workbookB. In WorkbookB cell
A5 I have:

=+[WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1!$A$3

The links are working except when I insert a row above Row 3 in WorkbookA.
It changes the absolute reference to $A$4. I want it to remain linked to row
3.

I would appreciate a suggestion.

Marnie

Absolute value changing in linked workbooks

That worked! Thank you!

Marnie wrote:

I want to link Row 3 in workbookA to Row 5 in workbookB. In WorkbookB cell
A5 I have:

=+[WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1!$A$3

The links are working except when I insert a row above Row 3 in WorkbookA.
It changes the absolute reference to $A$4. I want it to remain linked to row
3.

I would appreciate a suggestion.

Bill Manville

Absolute value changing in linked workbooks

The other thing to do is to ensure WorkbookB is open when you are
modifying WorkbookA

Or if you name the cell in WorkbookA, for example "MyCell" then you can
insert and delete ranges that move MyCell and a link:
=[WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1!MyCell
will still work

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England