-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Sorting loses links to data (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/87602-sorting-loses-links-data.html)

SueD

Sorting loses links to data

In Office 2000, I have links to cells in an Excel list. When the list is
sorted, the links remain to the cell references, so show different data. I
want the links to follow the data when it is sorted, so I guess I somehow
need to link to data and not cells.

Bill Manville

Sorting loses links to data

Assuming that there are unique values in one of the columns of the
table that you could use to find the value you want, you need to use a
VLOOKUP formula (if the column of unique values is on the left) or a
combination of INDEX and MATCH (if it is not).

If this is not sufficient to help you, please give an example of what
the source table contains and say which value you want to access by a
formula

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

SueD

Sorting loses links to data

Thank you for your suggestion, but I have subsequently solved the issue by
adding a column to identify the data and then using the SUMIF formula to pick
out the required items.