Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Stewart

Default Workbook with phantom link

When I open the workbook excel asks if I want to update links to other
workbooks.

There are no links, I have searched all the worksheets in an effort to
delete them but cannot find any.

Does anyone have a suggestion? When I go to properties excel shows me the
link and the name of the worksheet the link refers to. I select all the
worksheets and do a search for the link but cannot find it in any of the
worksheets to delete it.

Thanks....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
ScottO

Have you checked in the Names?
Go Insert/Name/Define and check whether any of the names include the
phantom.
Rgds,
ScottO

"Stewart" wrote in message
| When I open the workbook excel asks if I want to update links to
other
| workbooks.
|
| There are no links, I have searched all the worksheets in an effort
| delete them but cannot find any.
|
| Does anyone have a suggestion? When I go to properties excel shows
me the
| link and the name of the worksheet the link refers to. I select all
the
| worksheets and do a search for the link but cannot find it in any
of the
| worksheets to delete it.
|
| Thanks....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Stewart

Scott, I found the link tied to one of the names. When I deleted the name the
problem went away.

Thanks for the solution.

Stewart

"Stewart" wrote in message
| When I open the workbook excel asks if I want to update links to
other
| workbooks.
|
| There are no links, I have searched all the worksheets in an effort
| delete them but cannot find any.
|
| Does anyone have a suggestion? When I go to properties excel shows
me the
| link and the name of the worksheet the link refers to. I select all
the
| worksheets and do a search for the link but cannot find it in any
of the
| worksheets to delete it.
|
| Thanks....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Fadi

Hi,
Are you sure that you don't have some text box in some graph calling for the
linked to worksheet?
There is a non perfect but helpful solution:
1. open the workbook that contains the ghost link,
2. move each worksheet to a new workbook (you can do this by blocks of
worksheets if there are too many ones)
3. check on the new workbooks to see in which sheet(s) the link is.
This helps you to locate the link. Afterwards, you can slice the
incriminated worksheet in pieces and repeat the same operation to locate the
ghost link.
Look in graphs and in the sheet to see if you can find the link.
If you cannot find it, copy the whole source workbook in the workbook with
the ghost link and check that there is no external link left. DO NOT save
the source workbook (the one to which the other is linked). Just close it.
Afterwards, delete the imported sheets in your worksheet and save. This
should solve.
Hope that this helps.
Fadi

news: ...