-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Excel converts Mapped drive to UNC - How to stop? (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/552-excel-converts-mapped-drive-unc-how-stop.html)

Fred

Excel converts Mapped drive to UNC - How to stop?

- Excel 2000 w/latest patches from Office Update
- Win2K and WinXP and W2KServer and W2003Server

When we enter Hyperlinks to a file in Excel and the target is on a mapped
drive (s:\ mapped to \\servername\sharname\worddoc.doc) Excel converts this
to a UNC path.

When I enter "S:\worddoc.doc" as the Hyperlink that's what I want not
\\servername\sharename\worddoc.doc.

I have tried to change the Hyperlink root in File | Properties Summary Tab,
but that is only a cosmetic change as the tool tip still shows the UNC path.

How can we FORCE Excel to use the drive name and NOT the UNC?

Thanks
Fred

Bill Manville

Fred wrote:
How can we FORCE Excel to use the drive name and NOT the UNC?

How about
=HYPERLINK("S:\Worddoc.doc","Word doc")

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England