D Moniz via OfficeKB.com

Default Bill MAnvilles Findlink error

I keep getting a Run-time error 1004 when using Bill Manvilles findlink macro. Any suggestions?

D Moniz via OfficeKB.com

I've changed the Macro security to medium and to low neither changed the error message. HELP

Bill Manville

D Moniz via OfficeKB.com wrote:
I keep getting a Run-time error 1004 when using Bill Manvilles findlink macro. Any suggestions?

It would help if you indicated:
- the version of FindLink
- the text of the error message
- the choices you made on the dialog

If you use the Help button on the dialog it will tell you how to report the problem directly to me

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

D Moniz via OfficeKB.com

Run-time error '1004':
Unable to get the formula property of the TextBox class

Below is what I get when I select the Help button on ther error message.

I do not know how to determine the version I have of Findlink.xls. I did download it this week. I assume it must be fairly current.

Could not find how to report the problem directly to you.

Macro Error
There is an error in the macro you were running. The specified method can't be used on the specified object for one of the following reasons:

An argument contains a value that is not valid. A common cause of this problem is trying to gain access to an object that does not exist; for example, Workbooks(5)when only three workbooks are open.
The method can't be used in the applied context. Specifically, some Range object methods require that the range contain data. If the range does not contain data, the method fails.
An external error occurred, such as a failure to read or write from a file.
A method or property can't be used because of security settings. For example, the properties and methods of the VBE object for manipulating the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code stored in an Microsoft Office document are inaccessible by default.
To turn on trusted access to Visual Basic Projects:

On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Security.
On the Trusted Sources tab, select the Trust access to Visual Basic Project check box.
For more information about how to use the method, search for the method name in Visual Basic Help.

Bill Manville

D Moniz via OfficeKB.com wrote:
Below is what I get when I select the Help button on ther error message.

No, the Help button on the FINDLINK dialog tells you what to do if you
have a problem.

I do not know how to determine the version I have of Findlink.xls

The title bar of the FINDLINK dialog tells you.

Run-time error '1004':
Unable to get the formula property of the TextBox class

Thank you.
I have not seen that one before.
If you would be kind enough to follow the instructions on the Help message
I will take a look at it for you.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

D Moniz via OfficeKB.com

Sorry I can't find the version. On the top of the dialog box it has Microsoft Visual Basic. maybe the findlink dialog box won't come up until this error is resolved? There is no way to report the problem directly to you in this box (at least I haven't figured out how.) BTW this only occurs in some spreadsheets. Other spreadsheets it works fine.

Bill Manville

D Moniz via OfficeKB.com wrote:
Sorry I can't find the version.

Tools / Find Links
Look at the top of the dialog.
There is the version number.
Press the Help button.
There are the instructions for reporting a problem.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

D Moniz via OfficeKB.com

Sorry I haven't been too successful. When I open a spreadsheet where the findlink works the dialog box that comes up has Link Finder at the top where I can type in the string for it to search. There is two buttom available OK and CANCEL.
When I open a spreadsheet where the findlink does NOT work, I get the same dialog box and when I click on the OK button I get the Microsoft Visual Basic error message Run-time error 1004 that I reported earlier. Only tow Buttons are active END and HELP. If I choose HELP
I get the detailed message I reported earlier about Macro errors.

Why can't I find the HELP button you mention? What am I doing wrong? Is Link Finder the version?

Confused.

Bill Manville

Either you have a VERY old version of FINDLINK or you have a different
program altogether. Where did you get it from?

Download the current FINDLINK from
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp
and try again

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

D Moniz via OfficeKB.com

Thank You !!!

That must have been my problem. I downloaded the new version and everything works !!

Cheers