-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Link 'failing' (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/48211-link-failing.html)

ppetts

Link 'failing'

Hi,

I've got a 'data' workbook, and another one set up to report over the
data. If I have both files open, the reports work fine, if however I
open the reports file up, and the data one isn't, all the formulas fail
!

I've looked at the Edit Links section, and I've even tried to update
source, all to no avail.

The formula in one of the cells, when both workbooks are open is:

=IF(ISERROR(DAVERAGE(AppraisalExport.xls!$A:$X,'Da tabase
Criteria'!B$1,'Database
Criteria'!$B3:$C4)),0,DAVERAGE(AppraisalExport.xls !$A:$X,'Database
Criteria'!B$1,'Database Criteria'!$B3:$C4))

When I've got only the reports workbook open (if I click 'update links'
on opening):

=IF(ISERROR(DAVERAGE('C:\[AppraisalExport.xls]AppraisalExport'!$A:$X,'Database
Criteria'!B$1,'Database
Criteria'!$B3:$C4)),0,DAVERAGE('C:\[AppraisalExport.xls]AppraisalExport'!$A:$X,'Database
Criteria'!B$1,'Database Criteria'!$B3:$C4))

The file path is correct. Any ideas?? I'm using Excel 2002 SP1

Thanks in advance, Phil.

--
ppetts

Bill Manville

Some formulas are too complex for Excel to evaluate without opening the
source workbook. I would recommend that you open the source workbook,
which could be done for example in an Auto_Open macro.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England