-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Links to other worksheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/33011-links-other-worksheets.html)

JohnnyJomp

Links to other worksheets

Hi all...
I have a large worksheet and a smaller version of it. I have created columns
on worksheet 2 that are columns in worksheet 1.

When I change a cell in the orginal column, should not worksheet 2
automatically update?
It looks like I have to sort ws2 to get it to update.
I am doing anything wrong?
John

Bill Manville

Not quite clear what the situation is.

You talk about 2 worksheets - in the same workbook?
Or do you mean 2 separate workbooks?

What is the formula in the cells containing the links?

What is your calculation mode (Tools / Options / Calculation) ?

Which version of Excel?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

JohnnyJomp

Hi Bill:
Sorry for not being precise.
They are 2 wroksheets in 1 workbook. It actually isnt a formula, just a link
that I want to automatically update.

I also noticed that when I sort the columns, it will sort the ones that are
linked to empty cells first.
Actually, all I really need to do is write a little macro that will hide all
the columns that I don't need on the original worksheet. That is what I will
do; just should have done that to start!
Thanks for your attention, anyway...
John