-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Excel links put file in use (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/238801-excel-links-put-file-use.html)

David H.

Excel links put file in use

I have an Excel 2007 file containing a large table, and I created an
"extraction" spreadsheet that uses a workbook connection to extract data for
the folks in one of our offices. It extracts and displays the data very
well, BUT as soon as anyone opens the extraction spreadsheet I find I am
unable to open the master file. Excel just says "file in use, try again
later." Well, that's no good. I can't let my branches have veto power over
my ability to edit my master file.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way Excel is?