-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Getting links to follow inserted rows (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/236879-getting-links-follow-inserted-rows.html)

[email protected]

Getting links to follow inserted rows

Hello-
I have a slightly complicated problem, so I'll try to make it as
simple as possible for anyone who wants to help (which I would greatly
appreciate).

I have a large range of data that needs to be entered into a worksheet
and then reordered in a second worksheet. The second worksheet is
nothing but links that put the data from the first worksheet into the
correct order.

My problem is this: whenever I insert a row into the first worksheet,
the numbers from the second worksheet don't change. I would like to
have a permanent link, for example, to cell A1 in Sheet 1, but when I
move that cell to D12, the link in Sheet 2 suddenly refers to D12.

Can the links be made to refer to a location, rather than a datum?
Thanks!

Dave Peterson

Getting links to follow inserted rows

These worksheets are in different workbooks, right?

If both workbooks are open when you make the change, then excel will adjust
those links. Remember to save both files when you're done!

If you don't want to open the "sending" workbook, you can name each cell that
gets retrieved. When you insert/delete a row/column, then that named range will
move with the cell. And the formulas that refer to that named range will still
point to that named range.

========
But this kind of stuff scares me.

If possible, I would have a unique key (in column A???) so that I could use
=vlookup() to retrieve values when the key matched.

--

Dave Peterson

Sam Thielman

Getting links to follow inserted rows

Actually, they're not in different workbooks - I'm just linking from,
for brevity's sake, sheet1 to sheet2.

" wrote:

[...]

Are these links formulas like:
=sheet1!a1
or are they hyperlinks (via insert|Hyperlinks)