-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Excel query and link named range (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/236024-excel-query-link-named-range.html)

Jessica

Excel query and link named range

Hi,

I have book1 that has a query that brings down a list from access (name=
Project). I need to use this list in a drop down box (validation). I also
need to update the list periodically.

The problem is that my users are opening the spreadsheet as a template and
may need updates while using it. They do not have Access so they can't do
the update.

So, I wanted to create book1 with the list & query. Then have the template
(book2) reference the list in book1.

I tried:
1) doing a copy/paste/named range macro but that just seems like a workaround
2) creating a named range in book2 that references book1 but it only works
when book1 is open.

Any suggestions?