-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   hyperlinks in excel2002 won't save correctly (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/155707-hyperlinks-excel2002-wont-save-correctly.html)

Alastair

hyperlinks in excel2002 won't save correctly

Hi All,

I'm having problems keeping hyperlink paths when i save an excel file as html.

The hyperlink works fine in excel: links to a pdf
"file:///\\server\share\folder\file.pdf" but when saved as html it is just
saved as "folder/file.pdf" I'm using the html on a webserver so need the
entire path.

I tried unselecting 'update links on exit' under toolsoptionsgeneralweb
options, but still the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Alastair

Bill Manville

hyperlinks in excel2002 won't save correctly

I don't know if it will help with this problem, but some problems with
relative links are solved by File Properties Summary Hyperlink
Base : \\SomeJunkServer\JunkFolder

This forces hyperlinks to the same server as the file is saved on to be
saved as absolute.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Alastair

hyperlinks in excel2002 won't save correctly

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately it still will not work, the HTML code
for each link still reads:

href="folder/file.pdf"

Cheers though,
Alastair.

Alastair wrote:
unfortunately it still will not work, the HTML code
for each link still reads:

href="folder/file.pdf"

If you create a new hyperlink, with the hyperlink base set as I
suggested, does it come out right?
If so all we need is to fix up any existing hyperlinks which should be
possible using some code.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Alastair

hyperlinks in excel2002 won't save correctly

Cheers Bill,

With your help I've now solved the problem. I was saving the individual
sheet as html rather than the 'entire workbook'. With the hyperlink base in
place the link in html reads correctly: