-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Hyperlinks embedded in text (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/11111-hyperlinks-embedded-text.html)

Rick

Hyperlinks embedded in text

Can Excel (any version) be made to recognize/activate hyperlinks which
are embedded in other text in a cell?

For axemple, entering "http://www.a.com" by itself in a cell makes
Excel 2000 activate it as a hyperlink.

But entering "Some text http://www.a.com more text" does not activate
the embedded hyperlink. Can this be done (without scripting if
possible)?

Bill Manville

Rick wrote:
But entering "Some text http://www.a.com more text" does not activate
the embedded hyperlink. Can this be done (without scripting if
possible)?

No.

You could enter a formula
=HYPERLINK("http://www.a.com","Some text http://www.a.com more text")

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Rick

Thanks. That turns the whole cell into a single hyperlink, right? I was
hoping to be able to have multiple hyperlinks in a single cell,
embedded within a paragraph of text.

Actually, what I need is to import existing text with embedded
hyperlinks -- without hand-editing it if possible.

I tried it in Word as well. Strangely, Word recognizes and activates
multiple hyperlinks in a paragraph if you type the text manually, but
if you copy/paste it or import it the hyperlinks are not recognized.

Bill Manville

Rick wrote:
That turns the whole cell into a single hyperlink, right? I was
hoping to be able to have multiple hyperlinks in a single cell,
embedded within a paragraph of text.

Excel does not have that ability.