-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Unable to Read File (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/100427-unable-read-file.html)

steenman2

Unable to Read File

I am having a problem linking one workbook to another. Let me lay it
out...

I ahve a database that runs a query and then uses a macro to "Output
to" the query results to a excel file called CARQuery.xls. Once that is
done A user can then open a different excel file that links to
CARQuery.xls takes its data and oganizes it So a Chart can use it.

The Query works fine, the Output to works fine, but when I open the
second excel file with the chart it tells me "unable to read file" and
then doesn't update. It does update when I have both excel files open
at the same time. But either way it should update, right?

FYI the db and two excel files are in the same folder on a network
drive.

Any help or hints would be helpful.

Thanks

Bill Manville

Unable to Read File

Some databases export Excel files that are not able to be read by Excel
when they are closed. It's some sort of bug in the export filter. Open
the file in Excel and save it and the problem should be resolved.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England