-   -   Conditional Validation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/99942-conditional-validation.html)

mojoshenpo

Conditional Validation

I've made a team management sheet for a game. In one cell I have a
validation for the team names. In another cell I would like to have
conditional validation, i.e., when you choose a team name, a list of
available players is there for selection.

Someone said, on another forum, that they had combined IF statements
with Validation, but did not say how....

Help?

--
mojoshenpo
mojoshenpo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36495

Gary Brown

Conditional Validation

Check this out from Dick Kusleika's Daily Dose of Excel...

http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/arch...ta-validation/

I believe it will answer your questions.
--
HTH,
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful to you, please select ''YES'' at the bottom of the
post.

"mojoshenpo" wrote:

I've made a team management sheet for a game. In one cell I have a
validation for the team names. In another cell I would like to have
conditional validation, i.e., when you choose a team name, a list of
available players is there for selection.

Someone said, on another forum, that they had combined IF statements
with Validation, but did not say how....

Help?

--
mojoshenpo
mojoshenpo's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=562523

Gord Dibben

Conditional Validation

What you need is dependent validation lists.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for instructions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:15:36 -0400, mojoshenpo
wrote:

I've made a team management sheet for a game. In one cell I have a
validation for the team names. In another cell I would like to have
conditional validation, i.e., when you choose a team name, a list of
available players is there for selection.

Someone said, on another forum, that they had combined IF statements
with Validation, but did not say how....

Help?

mojoshenpo

Conditional Validation

Thanks to all for the last help; the page took a moderate amount of
figuring out, but the team manager sheet works nicely now.

Naturally, not being able to leave well enough alone, I'd like to
compile stats for the team vs other teams. How do I get excel to look
up multiple instances of a value (opposing team) and return the sum of
the numbers from a column, i.e., you play a particular team 3 different
times in a season and not back to back (unsorted data) how do you pick
out the total (sum) number of touchdowns/whatever that you scored
against them from a table?

Thanks so much for the help,

Mojo