-   -   How do I get a cell to give a result based on the month we are in? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/99771-how-do-i-get-cell-give-result-based-month-we.html)

SHBmgr

How do I get a cell to give a result based on the month we are in?

I want to calculate the % difference between actual and goal for the month we
are in. i.e. J1=I1/C1(when we are in Feb), or J1=I1/E1(when we are in
April). In other words, the answer for J1 will reflect whatever month we are
currently in. If you open up the spreadsheet in July it will be J1=H1/I1. I
think the formula may involve the TODAY function but I am not sure.

A B C D E F G H I
Jan Feb Mar April May June July Goal % Diff
1 Product 1
2 Product 2

VBA Noob

How do I get a cell to give a result based on the month we are in?

gives you the current month

=MONTH(TODAY())

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833

Biff

How do I get a cell to give a result based on the month we are in?

Hi!

If you month headers are in row 1 then the numeric data is is row 2.

Also, which is which:

=I1/C1
=I1/E1
=H1/I1

Is it goal/value or value/goal ?

Anyhow:

For goal/value, month headers in row 1:

=IF(I2="","",I2/INDEX(B2:H2,MATCH(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmm"),B1:H1,0)))

Biff

"SHBmgr" wrote in message
I want to calculate the % difference between actual and goal for the month
we
are in. i.e. J1=I1/C1(when we are in Feb), or J1=I1/E1(when we are in
April). In other words, the answer for J1 will reflect whatever month we
are
currently in. If you open up the spreadsheet in July it will be J1=H1/I1.
think the formula may involve the TODAY function but I am not sure.

A B C D E F G H I
Jan Feb Mar April May June July Goal % Diff
1 Product 1
2 Product 2

Biff

How do I get a cell to give a result based on the month we are in?

Oh, something I just noticed:

Jan Feb Mar April May June July

The format needs to be the same throughout:

Either all a

Jan.....Feb.....Mar.....Apr.....May.....Jun.....Ju l

Or, all a

January...February...March...April...May...June... July

Which ever way you choose, adjust this portion of the formula as
appropriate:

TEXT(TODAY(),"mmm")

For the short month name use the above, for the long month name use:

TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm")

Biff