-   -   calculate time (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/99702-calculate-time.html)

Karla V

calculate time

We export information from our ERP system on how long it takes to do a
certain process to a part. The format is automatically a percentage of an
hour. For example, to run a part through a lathe takes 0.50 which is 30
minutes. Each part goes through different procedures and has 4 or 5
different times associated with it.

2 questions:

1) I need it to show the time as hh:mm:ss so it's easier to understand
AND
2) I then need to add up the time for any given part

I can get a cell to show hh:mm:ss by using this formula:
=TEXT(D2/24, "hh:mm:ss"). But, then I can't add the time up to get a total
for that part. I'm guessing it's because it's formatted as text.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this???

bpeltzer

calculate time

Leave out the TEXT part of your formula; just =D2/24. Then format the cell
as a time value. That leaves it as a number so it can be added (just be sure
to format the sum as a time value as well).

"Karla V" wrote:

We export information from our ERP system on how long it takes to do a
certain process to a part. The format is automatically a percentage of an
hour. For example, to run a part through a lathe takes 0.50 which is 30
minutes. Each part goes through different procedures and has 4 or 5
different times associated with it.

2 questions:

1) I need it to show the time as hh:mm:ss so it's easier to understand
AND
2) I then need to add up the time for any given part

I can get a cell to show hh:mm:ss by using this formula:
=TEXT(D2/24, "hh:mm:ss"). But, then I can't add the time up to get a total
for that part. I'm guessing it's because it's formatted as text.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this???

Karla V

calculate time

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!