-   -   Convert cell contents to range (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/99580-convert-cell-contents-range.html)

jgrogan

Convert cell contents to range

I named a group of cells "northwest" which contains sales data. I could sum
the sales data with a formula =sum(northwest). Is there a way to sum the
sales data with a formula =sum(A2) where cell A2 contains the text
"northwest"?

Biff

Convert cell contents to range

Dedicated to Max:

Try this:

=SUM(INDIRECT(A2))

Note: this will not work if "northwest" is a dynamic named range.

Biff

"jgrogan" wrote in message
I named a group of cells "northwest" which contains sales data. I could
sum
the sales data with a formula =sum(northwest). Is there a way to sum the
sales data with a formula =sum(A2) where cell A2 contains the text
"northwest"?

Max

Convert cell contents to range

"Biff" wrote:
Dedicated to Max:

Indirect thanks <g !

=SUM(INDIRECT(A2))
Note: this will not work if "northwest" is a dynamic named range.

But this seems to work ok if "northwest" is a dynamic named range:
=SUM(northwest)
--
Max
Singapore

Max

Convert cell contents to range

But this seems to work ok if "northwest" is a dynamic named range:
=SUM(northwest)

Above comment is of course not relevant to the orig. post